Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

600p ssd not recognized as boot drive in UEFI BIOS

MLanc2
New Contributor

MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270x Gaming K7

CPU: i7 7700-k (S-spec SR33A)

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4-3200; 2x8GB)

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB DDR5X, 256-bit)

Storage 1: SSDPEKKW128G7X1

Storage 2: SSDPEKKW512G7X1

Optical Drive: HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW UH12NS40

Just setup everything (new custom build PC) and it POSTs with no issues.

Entered UEFI BIOS and accidentally disabled the SSDs from not menu while trying to change the ODD to first boot option.

Win8.1 64-bit will not recognize either SSD for OS install destination.

P.S.: I'd prefer to use the 128-GB as master and 512-GB as slave

22 REPLIES 22

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Verloren81,

About MBR and GPT the difference is that MBR uses the standard BIOS partition table legacy.GPT uses UEFI (unified extensible firmware interface), this means that you can have more than four partitions on each disk. GPT is also required for disks larger than 2 terabytes.That is basically the difference, now, you can select GPT in this case and create the partition. About the slow down, with SSDs, is not considered bad, but it may slow down a bit.Regards,Nestor C

MLanc2
New Contributor

Does Intel have a way to migrate data from Disk to Disk, or do i have to reformat everything and start completely over to install the OS onto the 128GB? Would you recommend a RAID set up with either of the SSD volumes? Which RAID setup would you recommend, if that is something you recommend?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Verloren81,

We do have a software that can clone SSDs, but it can't actually clone from SATA drives to NVMe* drives, it is the Intel® Data Migration Software. This software will only allow cloning from SATA to SATA drives.In the other hand, we have seen people having accomplished cloning SATA drives to NVMe* drives, using this tool: http://clonezilla.org/downloads.php Clonezilla.NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.For RAID that really depends, you can just have both drives separate if you are booting from the NVMe* disk, which is really fast and keeps the other one for storage. It is not that you need a RAID configuration to speed up the system or for back up.Regards,Nestor C

MLanc2
New Contributor

So, I've initialized the 128 GB as you suggested, but I haven't been able to get it to show up as a separate drive in File Explorer. As of now, the 850 EVO is registered as my C:, but, unless I plug in a removable drive, I have no other (apparent) drives. I'd like to transfer some folders/programs to the 512GB 600p SSD, but I can't figure out how to accomplish that.

I'll look into trying out Clonezilla but i'd prefer to isolate any non-system files/folders/programs to reduce clutter on the smaller 128GB drive before moving my OS to it.

AS for speed of the 500GB 850 EVO SSD, I'm getting a random read of 206752 IOPS; random write of 126627 IOPS; sequential read/write are 8326 MB/s and 7472 MB/s, respectively, while using the Maximum Performance Optimization in Samsung's Magician software. So, I definitely wouldn't say that the other SSD's performance is lackluster. I haven't been able to test the NVMe SSDs yet, so I can't compare them personally.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Verloren81,

Once you initialize the disk, you need to create a partition on each one so you can assign a letter to each drive. Please follow these steps:

-Open disk management

-Right click over the unallocated area and click "New Simple Volume"-Follow the setup wizard-Take a look at these pictures:

If you have any other question please let us know.

Regards,

Nestor C