Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

600p ssd not recognized as boot drive in UEFI BIOS

MLanc2
New Contributor

MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270x Gaming K7

CPU: i7 7700-k (S-spec SR33A)

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4-3200; 2x8GB)

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB DDR5X, 256-bit)

Storage 1: SSDPEKKW128G7X1

Storage 2: SSDPEKKW512G7X1

Optical Drive: HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW UH12NS40

Just setup everything (new custom build PC) and it POSTs with no issues.

Entered UEFI BIOS and accidentally disabled the SSDs from not menu while trying to change the ODD to first boot option.

Win8.1 64-bit will not recognize either SSD for OS install destination.

P.S.: I'd prefer to use the 128-GB as master and 512-GB as slave

22 REPLIES 22

MLanc2
New Contributor

I've initialized and allocated both 600p SSDs (I used New Simple Volume for the both of them) and transferred all the data I wanted to save on the 512GB and attempted a fresh Windows install on the 128GB like you recommended, but I was still unable to get Windows to recognize the 128GB (or even the 512GB) as an available install location. BIOS is still saying i have no NVMe devices attached.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Verloren81,

Since both drives are partitioned and detected by your operating system, and given the native NVMe* support provided by Windows* 8.1 and 10 (but not Windows* 8), there should be nothing keeping the Windows* installer from detecting these drives.

Perhaps you could try downloading a fresh Windows* Image, and burning a new installation media: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home

NOTE: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel® of the content, products, or services offered there. We do not offer support for any third party tool mentioned here.

Otherwise, our best recommendation at this point will be to engage your motherboard manufacturer for support, as they're the experts on your motherboard and BIOS, and may be able to provide further guidance. Once they provide a solution, please share it with us for future reference.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

MLanc2
New Contributor

I'm tempted to just forget it. I had a smoothly running installation and even managed to get the drives working, thanks to your suggestion concerning the initialization and allocation of the drives, but i've since had to reinstall windows 2x now and the setup isn't working like it was before. It's operable (and honestly still really well at that), but not at optimized performance. Now my Samsung Magician software isn't recognizing which version of windows i'm using, which is preventing me from using the Samsung at its optimal speed and settings. I'll probably have to look into that with Samsung's support crew.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Verloren81,

There are some things we can confirm about your situation:-The 2 drives work, as you can actually see them in the operating system.-The installation of the operating system should work normally.-There is no need of an NVMe* driver, as you can confirm both drives detected when used as storage.-Maybe a clone of the operating system will work.We strongly suggest to you to contact the OEM, as they can maybe address you better in any case where the BIOS needs to be tweaked or to let you know if the motherboard can actually boot from the M.2-NVMe* setup.Regards,Nestor C

MLanc2
New Contributor

The only thing I can think of is that, should I decide on a reinstalling Windows (once again), is to upload drivers from USB drive to get Windows to recognize the drives as a viable install destination. Hopefully this will work.

I might have to even sort it out with Gigabyte, to see if it's a motherboard issue. Considering that it's not recognizing any NVMe devices, I think this is a reasonable assumption for the source of the frustration.

On a completely unrelated note, I'd like to offer up as suggestion that your programmers look into making this support forum more mobile-friendly. I was able to post the OP on my mobile phone, but haven't once been able to post any replies on the forum from my mobile phone. The "add reply" button is completely non-responsive and if one is in a situation where they're somehow unable to troubleshoot from their computer or another one, it would definitely pay to have reliable access to communicating via cellphone on the forums.