cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

660P 256GB speed test so slow

moebear
New Contributor

as title, you can see the problem in the following pictures.

1. This is my ssd and it's info, read 870, write 484 

Disk info in English

2. The following one is I found in internet. 
512GB 660P, also used as C: ,  you can see its speed is almost twice than mine.

3. The following one is I found in internet too. 

256GB, 660P ,you can see its speed is almost twice than mine.

How to solve this problem?

10 REPLIES 10

BrusC_Intel
Contributor III

Hello, @moebear.

Thank you for contacting the Intel Community Support.

I checked your ticket regarding the performance of your Intel SSD 660p, I will be glad to assist you.

There are many different factors that could be causing different readings:

- The SSD model is different: They are the same 660p Series, but some specifications may slightly vary.

- The percentage used is different (his is 12% and yours is 41%): The best option would be to prepare the drives by performing a secure erase (or several).

- The systems are different: There could be unknown factors involved.

- His seems to be a clean/new OS install: Other processes running in the background that we are not aware of could be affecting your results.

With this being said, here are some recommendations:

1. Make sure you install the latest "Client NMVe drivers" from Intel: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29172/Client-NVMe-Microsoft-Windows-Drivers-for-Intel-SSDs

2. Perform a firmware update using Intel Memory and Storage Tool (the tool will inform you if there is new firmware available): https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29704?v=t

- It is recommended to keep a backup of your information in case something happens during any firmware update process.

3. Run the "Performance booster" using the same Intel Memory and Storage Tool: This should clear the cache of the 660p allowing for better performance.

Run the tests again and let me know if you notice any changes in the results.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

Hi, today I notice that 660p 256g is not available on market, so there is nearly no any speed test data on internet

The attachment picture I post yesterday is 600P 256g and 660p 512g.

So their speed test data are useless.

The retailer who give 660p256g to me post their 660p256g's speed test data which is close to mine.(915 read / 483 write)

So I think the speed test data may be correct, 660p256g's r/w performance is like that.

But in the same 660p series, 256g only has nearly half to 60% speed of 512g's . 

This is so incredible.

- His seems to be a clean/new OS install: Other processes running in the background that we are not aware of could be affecting your results.

I tried doing speed test by windows safe mode and it is the same.

1. Make sure you install the latest "Client NMVe drivers" from Intel: 

I install before ask question.

2. Perform a firmware update using Intel Memory and Storage Tool (the tool will inform you if there is new firmware available)
I install before ask question. and there is NO FIREWARE UPDATE for 660P 256G, 004C is not avaliable for 660P256G.

3. Run the "Performance booster" using the same Intel Memory and Storage Tool: This should clear the cache of the 660p allowing for better performance.

done  before ask question.

Hello, @moebear.

Thank you for the response and all the information.

As you mentioned, this seems to be a special version of the SSD 660p and there are no specific details available in order for us to compare.

The recommendations provided before are just general recommendations that can be applied, but knowing that you already contacted the vendor and you confirmed that your results are similar to the ones provided by him, there are no further recommendations we can provide as the drive may already be running according to specification.

You can check with them if there is something else you can try or in case there are other details they can provide, additionally, if the unit came preinstalled in the system you are using, you may also contact the system manufacturer (OEM) for more details or support regarding its performance.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel