cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

680i help…" error connecting to drive"

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I've just installed the new toolbox and hit the latest roadblock. Turns out my 680i motherboard identifies all SATA drives as SCSI, which was pretty common for older motherboard BIOS. It never made any difference to operation or performance until now…the Toolbox will not work with a hard drive identified as SCSI. The Toolbox recognizes the different drives and gives me different choices for the SSD vs. the rotary drives, but all functions are grayed-out.

So I can't use TRIM because the 680i is not AHCI compatible, and I can't use Toolbox to maintain the SSD because it hits a SCSI flag and grays-out (even though it does recognize the SSD).

Has anybody found a way to resolve this? I've looked through pages of Google links and tech support forums and found the issue talked about a lot but not a resolution. Typically the answer is that everyone lives with the SCSI-misidentification because it never made any difference whether Windows declared the drive SATA or SCSI. Until now.

Is anyone else's 680i working with the Toolbox?

Thanks

24 REPLIES 24

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Excellent and thank you Palo127. I will try it when I get back to my computer.

So I replace the Microsoft PCI IDE Controller driver by installing the latest nforce driver which installs the nforce serial driver. Then I replace the new nforce driver with the original Microsoft PCI IDE Controller driver and the SCSI designation will go away? LoL. No wonder I didn't stumble on a solution.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It worked great. Thank you polo127.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, this worked for me as well. MAD! If it wasn't for other people posting their knowledge and experience here..........

Thanks for the original providers of this info.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You are the man! I had same problem in Windows 7 (64 bit) and my EVGA 680i motherboard and your solutiuon worked like a charm. I would also add that when looking to replace the "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller", in all likelyhood, you may have more than one installed. Find out which one controls the Intel SSD (look under port 0 or port 1 of each nForce SATA Controllers) and only change the controller that controls your Intel SSD. Then if you have problems with other drives, you may want to switch them all. I only had to change one of the four "NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controllers" to the generic "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" Tks again Polo127

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

No problems. Im just glad it works for u guys too. Thx for the extra tip