cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

680i help…" error connecting to drive"

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I've just installed the new toolbox and hit the latest roadblock. Turns out my 680i motherboard identifies all SATA drives as SCSI, which was pretty common for older motherboard BIOS. It never made any difference to operation or performance until now…the Toolbox will not work with a hard drive identified as SCSI. The Toolbox recognizes the different drives and gives me different choices for the SSD vs. the rotary drives, but all functions are grayed-out.

So I can't use TRIM because the 680i is not AHCI compatible, and I can't use Toolbox to maintain the SSD because it hits a SCSI flag and grays-out (even though it does recognize the SSD).

Has anybody found a way to resolve this? I've looked through pages of Google links and tech support forums and found the issue talked about a lot but not a resolution. Typically the answer is that everyone lives with the SCSI-misidentification because it never made any difference whether Windows declared the drive SATA or SCSI. Until now.

Is anyone else's 680i working with the Toolbox?

Thanks

24 REPLIES 24

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Just wanted to add my thanks to Polo127, your soloution worked perfectly.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I want to add another "attaboy"! This worked for me, although my SSD is a Gen 1 so the trim tool isn't applicable to me.

Doesn't seem to matter - my drive is fast as all get out, and seems to be staying that way even after several months use as the primary drive in a Win7 desktop.

Best wishes/jim

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hiya !

Same scsi-sata problem. I hope replacing NVDIA drivers may work. I need to know if replace driver can affect the functionality of a second HD with Windows XP installed. Can i boot again from XP or can i have some problem with new drivers ?

Thanks in advance

Regards

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I am having the same problem getting an "error connecting to drive" when I run Toolbox. I have an ASUS Striker Extreme with the 680i chipset. When I go to nvidia's website and look for an nforce driver for the 680i, there is no 64-bit, Windows 7 driver available. The 64-bit Vista driver is not allowed to load by Windows 7. How do you get around that?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Avedis,

I'm looking at Nvidia's website right now and it looks like the 680 windows 7 64bit's search would return you back to the search page. Have you tried the 680i LT SLI? Looks like you could download that. It does say Win 7 64 version 15.51.