cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

680i help…" error connecting to drive"

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I've just installed the new toolbox and hit the latest roadblock. Turns out my 680i motherboard identifies all SATA drives as SCSI, which was pretty common for older motherboard BIOS. It never made any difference to operation or performance until now…the Toolbox will not work with a hard drive identified as SCSI. The Toolbox recognizes the different drives and gives me different choices for the SSD vs. the rotary drives, but all functions are grayed-out.

So I can't use TRIM because the 680i is not AHCI compatible, and I can't use Toolbox to maintain the SSD because it hits a SCSI flag and grays-out (even though it does recognize the SSD).

Has anybody found a way to resolve this? I've looked through pages of Google links and tech support forums and found the issue talked about a lot but not a resolution. Typically the answer is that everyone lives with the SCSI-misidentification because it never made any difference whether Windows declared the drive SATA or SCSI. Until now.

Is anyone else's 680i working with the Toolbox?

Thanks

24 REPLIES 24

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Polo127, please stick with this thread while I check out your recommendation. I've got to find a way to implement TRIM with a 680i chipset.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

POLO!!!!!! YOU ARE A GOD!!!!

I downloaded the nforce driver you recommended, did the IDE Controller swap as prescribed and the Toolbox runs!!!! I did it for only one of the three drives I have and hit the SSD on the first try. I owe you a beer or twelve!!!!

Thanks so much for the help!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Cooool. So the 680i LT SLi worked for you?

Hey I was wondering how long it takes for everyone's trim to complete? Mine only takes like 3 seconds. Is this normal? The instruction on the toolbox says it might take many minutes. I filled up half the space on my 80Gb.

Thanks

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, the 680i LT SLi 64-bit driver worked fine.

When I run TRIM on my 80 Gb SSD, it takes a second or two but I only have Windows 7 and a few other applications on it as it is new and I haven't migrated everything over to it that I need to yet.

Thanks again polo, you saved my bacon on this!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Anyone else having stuttering problems once they performed this fix? I got the SSD toolbox to recognize my X-25V 40gb, but switching to the generic driver causes stuttering, which is very noticeable when playing music, but seems to affect just about program/operation i run.