cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

750 U.2 causing CPU issues

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi

I have question if it is possible that Intel 750 SSD connected via U.2 to CPU can cause stability issues eventually destroying the CPU, because I am afraid my disk is just causing this and already damaged one i7700.

Here is my story:

Originally I had this SSD as system drive in Asus Maximus VIII Gene with i7-6700K. It was perfectly stable until I added PCIe graphics card - then I started to experience random deadlocks. I tried to solve this problem by changing voltages and various settings in bios, but with no success. I gave up and bought Asrock Z170 Extreme7+ and because this mobo comes with 3 M.2 slots I bought also two new NVMe Samsung drives for raid and I connected the Intel 750 to the 3rd slot, via PCIe hub, so no direct connection to the CPU. The system was perfectly stable. Few months ago I bought Asus Maximus VIII Impact and i7-7700K for another PC and decided to use Intel 750 as system drive and I got again random deadlocks, this time even without PCIe graphics card. Sometimes the PC ran several days without issues then deadlocked, sometimes it deadlocked within few hours. One day morning I found it deadlocked again, but this time it refused to boot. The boot process ended with post code 40, which is according Asus manual some APIC code "CPU is waking from sleep". I replaced the CPU with spare one and the PC booted. I tried the original CPU in another Asus mobo and the boot process stopped again with post code 40. It was clear that the CPU is dead. I left the system running with the spare CPU, which is some Pentium, and it restarted after two days. No windows error, no blue screens, just restart. This repeated several times, then I decided to reinstall the system, because I thought it may be defective due to bad original CPU, but it did not help. I was really desperate but then I removed the Intel 750 and installed system on SATA Intel SSD. The system is now perfectly stable and has been running stress tests for more than one week.

Regards

Marwyn

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Marwyn,

We'd like to know if you followed our previous recommendations and if you still have questions. We'll be waiting for your response.Regards,Nestor C

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi

I don't think anything you posted above could help to re-solve my issue. I returned the disk and today I got my money back. Problem solved 😉

Regards

Marwyn

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Marwyn,

Thanks for responding and to let us know about the outcome of this situation.Regards,Nestor C