cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

750 ssd failed, could ATX4P cause power issues?

BGann
New Contributor II

Hi, I returned a 4 GB 750 SSD for warranty due to a failure to power up. Leds on the SSD do not power on and the bios does not recognize the nvme drive. The drive has previously operated fantastically with no known issues.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte X99-UD4 and is listed as compliant with this drive. This motherboard hosted two GTX-980 graphic cards until 2 months ago when I switched to a single card. Could using the ATX4P power rail with one gpu cause higher than safe power levels across the PCIe bus?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

AP16
Contributor

What PSU you have?

BGann
New Contributor II

Thanks for replying.

Power supply is a Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 850 watt. The ATX4P1 is an auxiliary molex power connector on the motherboard that supplies additional power source to the PCIe bus to increase stability when components are used that have a high power demand.

This is the first Intel product that I have purchased that has failed in 20 years. Just curious since I didn't see it in the documentation that using auxiliary power to the PCIe could damage the SSD.

Thanks

CG4
New Contributor II

Currenty using a 400gb intel 750 pciex version on Rampage v extreme/3.1 usb rev with 1 290x ligthning. I have also installed the extra 4pin molex in the bottom of the mobo (for added juice) but (thank god) haven't experienced any problem....

If added power from this 4pin molex can damage the ssd, (if just 1 gpu is installed) then I guess, Intel should have warned us ?!?!

The SSD 750, according to datasheet, uses max 35W (usually much lower), that is more then enough for standard PCIE slot power. There is no need for additional power. Check the +12V MB sensor though, but looks like misfortune than incident with power .