Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Solid State Drives
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4365 Discussions

750 ssd pcie boot drive problem

hmcmo
Beginner

Hi, I formatted the 750 ssd pcie drive to ntfs in windows. I then cloned my boot drive over to that drive. But I cannot get windows to boot from this ssd yet.

I am using windows 7 and asus z97 gryphon motherboard.

Is it not possible from a cloned boot drive?

Maybe I am doing something wrong? I just can't imagine freshly installing windows again, and losing all my programs.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello Delobe,

The Intel® SSD 750 Series is a PCIe NVMe device. Booting from it requires uEFI, 64bit OS and NVMe driver.

If the original installation was done using a UEFI installation source, and with UEFI boot enabled, then the migration may work. The issue is that most Win 7 installations are not done in UEFI mode.

If the source installation was from a SATA drive or RAID volume, the OS will not be able to boot from the PCIe drive after the migration. If this is the case, a fresh install is recommended.

For more information, please review the http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/ssd-750/sb/CS-035483.htm Intel® SSD 750 Series - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello Delobe,

The Intel® SSD 750 Series is a PCIe NVMe device. Booting from it requires uEFI, 64bit OS and NVMe driver.

If the original installation was done using a UEFI installation source, and with UEFI boot enabled, then the migration may work. The issue is that most Win 7 installations are not done in UEFI mode.

If the source installation was from a SATA drive or RAID volume, the OS will not be able to boot from the PCIe drive after the migration. If this is the case, a fresh install is recommended.

For more information, please review the http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/ssd-750/sb/CS-035483.htm Intel® SSD 750 Series - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).

View solution in original post

hmcmo
Beginner

Thanks, I have the last two requirements, so it must be UEFI.