cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

750 ssd pcie boot drive problem

hmcmo
New Contributor

Hi, I formatted the 750 ssd pcie drive to ntfs in windows. I then cloned my boot drive over to that drive. But I cannot get windows to boot from this ssd yet.

I am using windows 7 and asus z97 gryphon motherboard.

Is it not possible from a cloned boot drive?

Maybe I am doing something wrong? I just can't imagine freshly installing windows again, and losing all my programs.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello Delobe,

The Intel® SSD 750 Series is a PCIe NVMe device. Booting from it requires uEFI, 64bit OS and NVMe driver.

If the original installation was done using a UEFI installation source, and with UEFI boot enabled, then the migration may work. The issue is that most Win 7 installations are not done in UEFI mode.

If the source installation was from a SATA drive or RAID volume, the OS will not be able to boot from the PCIe drive after the migration. If this is the case, a fresh install is recommended.

For more information, please review the http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/ssd-750/sb/CS-035483.htm Intel® SSD 750 Series - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

jbenavides
Valued Contributor II

Hello Delobe,

The Intel® SSD 750 Series is a PCIe NVMe device. Booting from it requires uEFI, 64bit OS and NVMe driver.

If the original installation was done using a UEFI installation source, and with UEFI boot enabled, then the migration may work. The issue is that most Win 7 installations are not done in UEFI mode.

If the source installation was from a SATA drive or RAID volume, the OS will not be able to boot from the PCIe drive after the migration. If this is the case, a fresh install is recommended.

For more information, please review the http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/ssd-750/sb/CS-035483.htm Intel® SSD 750 Series - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).

Thanks, I have the last two requirements, so it must be UEFI.