cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80G2 SSD stopped working (report 8mb- serial number: ChanCE conflict), f/w:2CV102M3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Dear Support,

I just purchased an intel SSD 2 days ago (the 80GB G2 - 34nm).

It worked good, i updated the firmware without any problem (both IDE and AHCI, both MS and Intel drivers).

today, when starting my computer, the bios said the disk had an error , although it could recognize it as normally SSDSA2M080G2GC.

the main problem is that It report.... 0GB of storage! or 8 MB if i check on intel SSD updatedr.

Luckily, it is not my system drive yet...

Here are the clues i gathered:

-Smart does not seem to work.

-the serial number reported is ChanCE conflict (i google and only found some Korean page about it, regarding the same SSD).

Obviously, i tried several ports, several cables, and everything seemed fine....

I wonder what cause the problem. I hope it is not the new bios which is not totally polished...

Anyway, please help me!

I am quite a power user, so i can try several things to test the potential problems...

17 REPLIES 17

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

well, thanks for the answer,but it is not very helping

I know i am the first one reporting an issue, and i do not know if it is related to the firmware, of course.

the fact is i have my SSD for 2 days, i updated 2 days ago, and i have a problem. May be if i didnt update i would have had the same problem, i cannot know cause it was not tested for a long time...

Now, i restarted a lot my computer lately as i was installing many things, and the firmware is still very young, so it might be related (number of restart wise, I may have done more than any other :))...

At last, i relate my problem to others (the one of the password, altough i never set any password) because it seems to produce the same consequences: serial conflict chanCE and the same nonsense capacity reported).

I wish intel people can help me on this weird chanCe conflict, what it means etc... and i wish nobody has the same problem, all the more if the SSD is their system disk

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Assuming you are not worried about losing any data on your SSD try a secure erase.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?74093-How-to-use-HDDErase http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?74093-How-to-use-HDDErase

If the drive does not appear correctly after being erased, or if you are unable to run the erase I would RMA the drive.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I tried a secure erase already with intel ssd toolbox.

first, it said that the drive is SATA protected, but it suffixes to powercycle the drive while the toolbox s runing. I did.

Then i could press the button.... and wait 5 mintues to see a wonderful "fail".

Clearly, the SSD is in a "protetected mode" (hence the weird serial number: chanCE conflict).

Before RMAing the drive, i will wait someone official telling me what chanCE means...do u know if anyone from intel ever comes to the forum?

thanks

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Try running a secure erase from DOS as per the link in my earlier post. If it will not run its RMA time.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The drive reports 8 MB or 0 GB of capacity.

I dont know how any general purpose tool can go over that;

It wants to write 0s or 1s on the drive, so what?the drive reports a bulshit capacity, the tool wont be able to do anything;

I had a little hope with intel SSD toolbox as it might overpass what the generic info disk report, but no it doesnt.

I need something to "unlock" my SSD (most probably a firmware).

That is only intel can help me, and maybe those who had their disk in a similar state for whatever reason - and I found at least 2 similar cases.

Does any one know how to "set a password" on the SSD? may be i can try to see what happens (setting and unsetting or something).

Also, does anyone know how to downgrade (as i have the most recent firmware) the firmware? that would be useful...