Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

80G2 SSD stopped working (report 8mb- serial number: ChanCE conflict), f/w:2CV102M3

Dear Support,

I just purchased an intel SSD 2 days ago (the 80GB G2 - 34nm).

It worked good, i updated the firmware without any problem (both IDE and AHCI, both MS and Intel drivers).

today, when starting my computer, the bios said the disk had an error , although it could recognize it as normally SSDSA2M080G2GC.

the main problem is that It report.... 0GB of storage! or 8 MB if i check on intel SSD updatedr.

Luckily, it is not my system drive yet...

Here are the clues i gathered:

-Smart does not seem to work.

-the serial number reported is ChanCE conflict (i google and only found some Korean page about it, regarding the same SSD).

Obviously, i tried several ports, several cables, and everything seemed fine....

I wonder what cause the problem. I hope it is not the new bios which is not totally polished...

Anyway, please help me!

I am quite a power user, so i can try several things to test the potential problems...

0 Kudos
17 Replies
idata
Community Manager

edit: i tried several different SATA/power cable, and all work for my 3 other SATA devices (raptor, hitacHI 1TB, DVD drive), but none with the SSD...

Seems a firmware problem to me...

idata
Community Manager

re:

i am on Win 7 pro 64bits.

it looks a me a lot like the first trim firmware problem.

the other chanCE conflict problem (and they report 8MB or 480 TBwhich is both very weird but very similr to mine) i saw are around the same time (july 2009, althought the firmware problem seems to be found in october 2009).

)

http://unkar.org/r/jisaku/1241003332/567 http://unkar.org/r/jisaku/1241003332/567

obviously, i do not speak either Korean or Japanese, so i cannot tell much what happened...

if somebodycan translate the link, that would be helpfUl too ;

is there a way to downgrade the firmware to test with a older one?

idata
Community Manager

well sorry for answering myself, but as I am digging, i discover information...

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/intels_first_x25m_g2s_suffering_bios_bugs http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/intels_first_x25m_g2s_suffering_bios_bugs

actually, this problem seems to be more relevant to mine, as it is said to appear in the same time frame as the japanese/korean message i saw (july 2009).

(disk blocked when password set and changed);

Notice however that i never did or intended to set a password on the SSD, but i believe the state of my SSd is the same as what they use to be with this bug.

For information, my board is a asus P5WDH delux (i975X).

luckily, it seems intel worked out a fix, so i guess I could be beta tester for this one .

idata
Community Manager

Well, out of many G2 SSD owners that have done the firmware update, including myself, you are the first one that is reporting any problems, on this forum anyway. My G2 SSD has been working fine for several days now, although I did not have a password set on my SSD. The password problem is an older one and as you mention the fix was found a while ago. Although this latest firmware update does not seem to fix that problem (it was never stated in the release notes that it would be) your problem is likely not related to the latest firmware. Of course we'll have to wait and see if more problems like yours turn up. Good luck with your SSD.

idata
Community Manager

well, thanks for the answer,but it is not very helping

I know i am the first one reporting an issue, and i do not know if it is related to the firmware, of course.

the fact is i have my SSD for 2 days, i updated 2 days ago, and i have a problem. May be if i didnt update i would have had the same problem, i cannot know cause it was not tested for a long time...

Now, i restarted a lot my computer lately as i was installing many things, and the firmware is still very young, so it might be related (number of restart wise, I may have done more than any other :))...

At last, i relate my problem to others (the one of the password, altough i never set any password) because it seems to produce the same consequences: serial conflict chanCE and the same nonsense capacity reported).

I wish intel people can help me on this weird chanCe conflict, what it means etc... and i wish nobody has the same problem, all the more if the SSD is their system disk

idata
Community Manager

Assuming you are not worried about losing any data on your SSD try a secure erase.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?74093-How-to-use-HDDErase http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?74093-How-to-use-HDDErase

If the drive does not appear correctly after being erased, or if you are unable to run the erase I would RMA the drive.

idata
Community Manager

I tried a secure erase already with intel ssd toolbox.

first, it said that the drive is SATA protected, but it suffixes to powercycle the drive while the toolbox s runing. I did.

Then i could press the button.... and wait 5 mintues to see a wonderful "fail".

Clearly, the SSD is in a "protetected mode" (hence the weird serial number: chanCE conflict).

Before RMAing the drive, i will wait someone official telling me what chanCE means...do u know if anyone from intel ever comes to the forum?

thanks

idata
Community Manager

Try running a secure erase from DOS as per the link in my earlier post. If it will not run its RMA time.

idata
Community Manager

The drive reports 8 MB or 0 GB of capacity.

I dont know how any general purpose tool can go over that;

It wants to write 0s or 1s on the drive, so what?the drive reports a bulshit capacity, the tool wont be able to do anything;

I had a little hope with intel SSD toolbox as it might overpass what the generic info disk report, but no it doesnt.

I need something to "unlock" my SSD (most probably a firmware).

That is only intel can help me, and maybe those who had their disk in a similar state for whatever reason - and I found at least 2 similar cases.

Does any one know how to "set a password" on the SSD? may be i can try to see what happens (setting and unsetting or something).

Also, does anyone know how to downgrade (as i have the most recent firmware) the firmware? that would be useful...

idata
Community Manager

A secure erase wipes all info, including partition info. If the drive still reports 8MB after a ssecure erase it is smoked.

It is not possible to revert to an older f/w version.

idata
Community Manager

HDD erase 3.3 hang in the same way as intel ssd toolbox when trying to erase the SSD.

it seems that the ChanCE conflict is just what my M/B reports, as I finally found many others having the same 8MB issue, but with other serial number (no CTX etc), on thi sboard, anandtech, hardopc forum etc.

I will try the hdat2 program later, but without much hope

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1464303 http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1464303

monday, i ll return the disk to the shop, hoping they can do an exchange on the case that a disk dying within 1 week is not normal, and else, i ll contact intel for an exchange. some guy in portugal claimed he got a new one within a week, so i ll hope i ll get it soon, and hope it wont happen again...

in any case, some disk failed right at the installation, some other after 2 days, or 1 year...

it is a bit scary though...

idata
Community Manager

I think you need to use hdderase 3.4 or above to work with Intel SSD's.

idata
Community Manager

nop.

the link said:

hdderase 4.0 not compatible with intel SSD, hdderase 3.3 compatible...

It is the tool intel provides to journalist when testing their SSD....

Anyway, i think my SSD is really fried, hope i wont have twice the bad luck...

idata
Community Manager

Whoops, sorry 3.3 is compatible, but version 4 is also now compatible following updates to the firmware.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=691&type=expert&pid=9 http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=691&type=expert&pid=9

idata
Community Manager

yeah HDDErase v4 works fine now. I used it recently on one of my Intel SSDs which had Gigabyte's infamous HPA placed on it for the BIOS backup (only 2MB or so). v4 wiped it without a problem.

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

I just got the same problem.

I have had the disk for a year. Three days ago the system started getting problems (system hung). I managed to restart a couple of times but then was the SSD completely dead with the serial number reported as ChanCEconflict.

I'm RMA the drive now.

/Asus P6X58D PREMIUM, 2 Intel X25-M G2 in raid 0, Windows 7 x64.

idata
Community Manager

Hi!

Serial # has been changed to ChanCEConflict here as well. Intel X-25 120GB and the drive lasted approx one week.

Mobo: Asus P5Q Deluxe

SSD: Intel 120GB X-25

Error: Reboot and select proper boot device.

Startup repair attempt: Startup repair cannot repair this computer.

New attempt to install Windows: Windows cannot be installed. Disk0 Unallocated Space 8.0MB.

Bought the Motherboard 2 years ago. Have not updated the BIOS. I made no changes except change the boot order of my hard drives. Used my SATA5 input as the others were occupied.

The first time I installed Win7 on the new SSD a couple of weeks ago, I failed by keeping my other HDDs hooked up. That caused the boot to end up on one of the HDDs instead. Reinstalled with only the SSD and everything seemed to work fine. But no. When I got home from work yesterday (my computer is usually on), I came home to the "proper boot device" error as listed above. My BIOS recognizes the disk. Device Manager does too. But it's not listed anywhere else. A new Windows install attempt does as mentioned only recognize it as 8.0MB. Disk Management does not recognize it. Tried it in my laptop, did not recognize it.

Except from playing around with custom themes and orbs for Win7 from DeviantArt, I can't remember doing anything I don't usually do in this short time. I also changed the browser.cache.memory.capacity for Firefox memory leaks.

Intel, are you reading these posts? Please answer to what this ChanCEConflict deal is all about. I'm buying an OCZ now, it will take time until I can trust your SSDs again. A no-warning meltdown for a hard drive is pretty serious. Regular HDDs would at least give you a heads up. Let me know if you want the log from View Drive Information in Intel SSD Toolbox.

Thanks!