cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80GB x25m and Windows 7 x64

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Guys,

I'm about to purchase an Intel x25m 80gb SSD and install Win 7 x64, just wondered if there is anything SSD related that I need to do in advance or after the install to improve performance/stability, or am I simply good to go?

Thanks for your help!

11 REPLIES 11

DZand
Contributor III

This question is a very commom one and has been answered so often, that users cannot expect an individual answer here.

Furthermore this is a Forum of the Intel Support Community and not a Forum for users, who want to know how to install an OS onto an SSD..

Please have a look into the other threads of this SSD Forum or do a Google search for the answer.

Regards

Fernando

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

After installing your SSD, update to TRIM firmware if your drive does not come with TRIM firmware already installed. 2CV102HD is the latest TRIM supporting firmware from Intel. AHCI mode is preferred and using msahci default driver in Windows 7 will permit TRIM to run automatically without using Optimizer in SSD Toolbox. You can still use the Toolbox to check SMART attributes that include a wear indicator, and also diagnostic tests are available. Let Windows 7 install all the drivers needed. You can update your video card driver to latest from the manufacturer--recommended, and same goes for your sound card.

Install your SSD in the first port, either SATA port 0 or port 1, whichever is first on your motherboard.

Make sure Defrag is turned OFF immediately after installing Windows 7. You can type services local in the Start search bar, click on services local and scroll to Disk Defragmenter and set to Disabled--unless you have other non-SSD drives in your computer. If you have non-SSD drives in your computer, turn off defrag just for your SSD.

You could use Intel driver for AHCI but then would need optimizer to run for TRIM.

That is about it for now, got to leave. If you need more help, just fire away.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks ambizytl, much appreciated.

Just a few questions in response..

If I do need to update to TRIM firmware do I do this after my installation of win 7?

Im guessing I enable AHCI mode in the BIOS?

How do I ensure im using the msahci driver?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Plug in SSD and update 'trim' before installing OS. Set 'IDE' in bios before trim update and change to ACHI prior to OS install. You can do it after OS install, but why wait? You have to create a bootable CD with trim software on it.