cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few questions on 320 G3 SSD Drive

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Everyone,

I was recently given this drive as a gift to replace a recently crashed ide harddrive. I wasn't planning on upgrading anything else about my computer at this time, which is an AMD Athlon 64 and I'm running Windows XP Pro. I did some research beforehand and slipstreamed SP3 on my install disk and did my installation which went off without a hitch. I now have some concerns. Just to clarify, it's the 2.5 inch, 80 GB model.

All the research I've done, points to being unable to have TRIM support. On top of that, after installing the Intel SSD Toolbox, It says that it can not run it's Optimizer on my drive. Further research states that drive performance will inevitably degrade over time without one of these things to, for lack or knowledge of r a better term, clean up the drive.

I gather if I upgrade to Windows 7, it will just work out of the box due to it's included TRIM support and it's own AHCI driver. That and with an Intel CPU, I could use Intels Rapid Storage Tech.

Are there any other options for me with my current configuration? Must I break down and do some manner of upgrade? Am I worried about nothing possibly?

4 REPLIES 4

vt5
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

what's the error message when you run the optimizer in windows XP?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Here's a screenshot... says it it not supported on this drive.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Bumping this up, wondering if there is anyone that is aware of anything I can do, or am I doomed to have my drive's performance decrease?

Also, is there any more information I can get on the new firmware I've heard rumored?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Did you already update Mobo BIOS, check for latest drivers, and check that the SSD has the latest firmware?