cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question about the Intel NVMe SSD P3700 thermal throttling

idata
Esteemed Contributor III
Hi,I have a question about the Intel NVMe SSD P3700 series specification document.

In page number 26, what is the exact meaning of descriptions of Byte 0 and Byte 1-4? (please see the picture below)

Is integer percentage in Byte 0 means the ratio of slow down due to the thermal or something?

What is throttling event count in Bytes 1-4 mean?

I need more clear descriptions for them.

Thanks for your kind support in advance.

Best regards,

Jaemin

10 REPLIES 10

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Jaeminyx,

After researching this situation we can tell you that when Thermal Throttle is "activated", the performance will drop to a certain level in order to mitigate any thermal challenges.Now, according to the graph, the drive initially operates at 75-80K (IOPs) at a temperature of ~50-60 Celsius, but after a certain period of time operating under that characteristics, it starts heating and that's when the Thermal Throttle "activates" until the IOPs start going down until the get below the 75K... You can actually see a drop in temperature kind of aligned with the drop in performance until both stabilizes (IOPs) slightly below 75K and Temperature at ~60C.Could you please let us know the form factor of the SSD you have? Can you send a picture of your drive?Regards,NC

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Here are pictures of my drive:

As I mentioned before... I removed the heatsink of my drive. And the form factor of my SSD is AIC.

So, "the drop in performance" you said means the interval after 10 minute in the graph? Then, what is the meaning of the throttling percentage? I can't found any relationship between the value of this attribute and the performance shown in the graph.

And, I attached the other experiment result I did:

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=225ef0d506&view=fimg&th=1579e2a502bd56a1&attid=0.1&disp=em...

In this time, I ran some sequential write benchmark (also Fio, bs=64K, qd=64). As you can see in the graph, initially temperature was goes up fast, and it slowly goes down after around 7~8 minute. But, iops seems like stable all the time.

Why it is happen? I really want to know about the mechanism of thermal throttling in my drive.

Could you give me any information?

Thanks for your kind support again in advance.

Best Regards,

Jaemin

\

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Why it is happen? I really want to know about the mechanism of thermal throttling in my drive.

How can you expect Intel to explain the results of your "testing", when you have taken the SSD apart, and it can no longer work as it was designed to work?

How do you know the thermal throttling mechanism will still work as it was designed, when you have removed the heat sink?

The throttling mechanism is based upon this SSD being fully assembled, and used in the manner described in the datasheet. The engineers that designed it would not be able to take you seriously.

What was the air temperature and LFM speed of the air moving over the (remains) of the SSD during your testing? That is one of the specifications Intel uses in providing the normal operation specifications of this SSD.

You removed the heat sink, but you want to know how that affects the operation of the thermal throttling mechanism, that is designed with and meant to be used with the heat sink you removed?

I would be embarrassed to ask.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Jaeminyx,

Our engineering department reviewed the thread and we need to let you know that since the drive was altered or modified the behavior may vary from the actual specs.Regards,NC

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Jaeminyx,

We would like to know if there is any other question you may have or something else we can assist you with?Regards,NC