cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ACHI Enabled?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, I'm new to the SSD scene and I have a few quetions I hope people here can help with.

I know you need to have ACHI enabled in the BIOS, but as I understand it, RAID automatically has ACHI enabled, and since I wanted a RAID drive as my second drive, I set it to RAID.

In WIndows 7, the SSD appears to be fine, running very fast. However, in device manager, under 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' it lists only the following:

ATA Channel 0

ATA Channel 1

Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Through reading these forums, I am under the impression that an ACHI driver should be mentioned under here somewhere.

Under 'Storage Controllers' the following is displayed:

Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/5 Series/3400 Series SATA RAID Controller

I have installed the Intel Rapid Storage Tech software, but still ACHI is not mentioned.

Have I missed something here? Should I have not set the bios to RAID? Is there a driver I am missing? or is everything correct and I'm being a little paranoid?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Using 80GB X25-M in Windows 7 on a Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 motherboard.

Message was edited by: Skyphox

6 REPLIES 6

DZand
Contributor III

Skyphox schrieb:

I am just interested in knowing if the single drive would get a speed boost if I switched to AHCI only. I'm getting the impression that speed wise, a single drive in AHCI or RAID mode will run exactly the same speed in both.

It really doesn't make much sense to have a RAID0 outside the SSD and its system partition. So it would be better to run the Intel SATA Controllers in AHCI Mode.

If you want a system with the best possible performance, you should buy a second SSD and create a RAID0 array with both SSD's. I am very optimistic, that we will get Trim support in the near future even with SSD's being within an Intel RAID array.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ok, thank you very much for your time! You have been a great help.