cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AHCI on multiple ports

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Just installed my SSD X25-M SATA II 160GB. It was recommended by tech support to switch from an IDE setting to AHCI setting on the drive. My BIOS list the ports in groups "SATA Port1 - Port4" and "SATA Port5 - Port6" as the options. So to switch Port 1 to AHCI I have to switch all 4. Will my settings on ports 2, 3, and 4 be effected by not being IDE? They are CD-ROM's and DVD drives. Thanks in advance.

6 REPLIES 6

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ran the Fixit tool, changed to ACHI in BIOS and it works great now.

Thank you all for the great help.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Agava wrote:

Just installed my SSD X25-M SATA II 160GB. It was recommended by tech support to switch from an IDE setting to AHCI setting on the drive. My BIOS list the ports in groups "SATA Port1 - Port4" and "SATA Port5 - Port6" as the options. So to switch Port 1 to AHCI I have to switch all 4. Will my settings on ports 2, 3, and 4 be effected by not being IDE? They are CD-ROM's and DVD drives. Thanks in advance.

SATA Mode (IDE, AHCI, RAID) is set at the controller level. All ports on the controller are always in the same mode.

Since you see two different SATA Mode options, your motherboard probably just has two SATA controller. The native one on your southbridge or chipset and a 3rd party one (usually JMicron).