cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AHCI or IDE mode

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Whenever i choose AHCI mode in bios, sometimes there is a long delay (1 minute) at boot time. Workaround is to choose IDE instead, eventhough i experience better performance using AHCI. Is this a compatibility issue with my motherboard (rampage 2 extreme x58) or with some drives in general? I do in fact have an optical drive on a pata controller (jmicron jb363) which if not mistaken can lead to problems using AHCI, so i guess i should either not use it or replace it with a sata version.

Any suggestions?

21 REPLIES 21

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I installed Windows 7 in ACHI mode in lieu of RAID mode. So there is no reason for me to install the RST driver? I do get better SSD performane in ACHI mode compared to IDE mode. So if I should have installed Windows 7 in RAID mode for future RAID configuration.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Fernando wrote:

Einride schrieb:

I see there is a newer RST version 9.5.4.1001 (with driver file dates of November 2009). Any reason not to use this more recent version? For either version, would you install the whole RST package? Or just the F6 driver?

1. The newest RST driver v9.5.4.1001 do not support any Intel ICH Southbridge SATA AHCI Controller. Only Intel RAID users and users with the newest Intel 5-series chipset can use it.

2. The Intel MSM and RST application is mainly designed for users with an Intel RAID system. AHCI users may, but don't need to install any Intel MSM or RST package with the Console application. The informations they get are little, but the installation of the Console extends the boot time.

My use is for several ASUS P7P55 motherboards with 5 Series chipset. Each of these systems includes either one SSD and two HDDs in RAID0, or two SSDs in RAID0 and two HDDs in RAID0. In short, the SATA RAID storage controller controls everything.

So, these systems are doubly qualified, and I will try the later v9.5.4.1001 driver. If the RST package can pass the SMART data, that seems worthwhile.

DZand
Contributor III

doakh schrieb:

I installed Windows 7 in ACHI mode in lieu of RAID mode. So there is no reason for me to install the RST driver?

You may try the RST driver v9.5.0.1037. There are many non-RAID Intel SSD users who got the best performance by using them in AHCI Mode.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Sadly, I am unable to install the RST application from the Station-Drivers download. The install errors out following the license approval with a message like "Unable to copy File: ~~~ Setup.exe", where ~~~ is a variety of special characters. Is there another host for the install program? The separate driver package does install (and roll back) without a problem when using "Update Driver". All of the other hosts I have found include only the driver in their download.

In the alternative, could anyone with a complete v9.5.4.1001 package that works upload it somewhere?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Responding to marty787:

Look's like you got good answers in that other thread you linked to. It's what I would expect, there is just a delay while the OS and driver find out what volumes are on the mechanical disk. I'm afraid I don't know what it might be doing that would take 10s, though.