Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool
432 Discussions

ASRock G31M-S, Intel G31 + ICH7, SSD D3-S4510 , Hard Disk Error

AI2
Beginner

I have a motherboard ASRock G31M-S which, according to the manual

uses the "Intel G31" Northbridge and "Intel ICH7" Southbridge.

When installing the SSD in the system BIOS produces an error:

Primary hard disk error.

Changing the connection port does not give a positive result.

The BIOS options are...

* "Compatible" - Sets all SATA devices to operate in PATA mode.

* "Enhanced" - Sets all SATA devices to operate in SATA mode.

Changing the BIOS options does not give a positive result.

SSD new, from the box.

Is there any way that a new firmware release to fix this issue?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlHill
Super User

That chipset (g31) is 12 years old. You would do much better to upgrade your motherboard, processor, and memory rather than trying to add an SSD to a 12 year-old system.

Just an opinion.

Doc

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

To answer the implied question, you should always be in what they are calling Enhanced mode. I have to say, however, that the fact that these are the two options being provided does not bode well for the BIOS' support for SATA. Have you looked to see if there are any BIOS updates available for this board?

As for drive firmware, no update is going to make/break basic access like this - and, in fact, you have to get to Windows before you could do an upgrade, so it better support basic access. No, your situation is one of: (a) this board cannot support SSDs, (b) this board is not working properly, (c) this SSD does not support SATA-II (unlikely) or (c) this SSD is not working properly.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
AI2
Beginner

Hello.

BIOS updated to latest version.

When trying to install Windows 7 on SSD D3-S4150 error: Windows Installer could not configure Windows to work with the equipment of this computer.

When connecting another manufacturer SSD SATA-III this error is not. Installing Windows 7 SP1 occurs without problems.

When connecting the SSD D3-S4150 to another computer, no problem was detected.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello AI2, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Technical Support. I was reviewing your community post and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
AI2
Beginner
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

And I doubt it will be. It is likely a classic case of an incompatibility when combining the (relatively speaking) ancient with the modern.

...S

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello AI2, Thank you for having contacted the Intel® Memory & Storage Support community. We will like to know if you have been able to review and to follow the recommendations provided by the community regarding your current configuration. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel
Hello AI2, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Technical Support. I was reviewing your community post and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos