cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After data migration, Windows 7 will not boot from SSD - ntoskrnl.exe corrupt?

JLync1
New Contributor

I purchased the Intel 320 series SSD (120 GB) and installed it into my Dell Studio XPS Windows 7 computer.

Data migration from my original boot disk appeared to complete normally.

When I changed the boot order to thereby boot from the SSD, it refused with the message:

system32\ntoskrnl.exe corrupt or missing.

Restarting with my original hard drive, inspection of the f:\windows\system32\ folder shows this file present in the SSD.

Any attempts to replace this file, even from the administrator account, runs into something called the "TrustedInstaller" which refuses to allow any changes to this file on the SSD.

So, right now my purchase is a flop. Can you help?

Cheers,

Jim Lynch

3 REPLIES 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

What are you using for the data migration?

I assume you are taking and then applying a disk image? If so, have you tried creating another image?

Have you attempted a Windows Repair using the installer disk?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi DuckieHo, thanks for responding.

I used the Migration tool downloaded from the Intel web site. It only requested a source drive (c:) and a destination drive (f: SSD) and from that point on, it was hands-off. Everything looked perfect except that the SSD would not boot.

I have the Professional version of Windows 7, so I'm going to do something similar to what you said, namely use the Windows Install disk to "build" a fresh Windows 7 system in the Intel SSD. I'll have to re-install some applications, but the end result should be a success.

I'll let you know if it worked out.

Cheers,

Jim Lynch

JLync1
New Contributor

Hi DuckiHo.

I successfully used my Windows 7 Installation disk to build a bonafide bootable copy of Windows 7 on the Intel SSD.

Happy to report that it works OK (and is significantly faster).

Let's close this out with me being a happy customer!

Cheers,

Jim Lynch