cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any experience with boot times Windows 7 x64 with Intel SSD X25-M G2?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello,

I would like to have some insight about the boot times from windows 7 when Postville 80Gb SSD is used.

I have installed Win 7 x64 on the postville G2 and I am a bit surprised with the boot times I get. From Forums and reviews about Postville SSD, I have read that the boot time would be around 20 sec. I get 50-60 sec from the time I push the on button and the time I get an 'up and running cursor'. Is this normal. Below you will find my crystal disk mark data, which I think are in line with I have read from this community.

I run it in IDE mode and there are very few software installed. I have deactivated auto defrag and indexing, windows search service and swap file. I have successfully installed the 02HD firmware version.

Could you please help me on this,

Thanks a lot

Hypra

29 REPLIES 29

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Your CrystalDiskMark numbers look fine however v2.2 will not show much if any perfomance difference between running in AHCI vs IDE mode. What ACHI gives you is NCQ support and CDM v2.2 does not support queue depth greater than one. The latest CrystalDiskMark v3.0 Beta has a new field for 4K random (QD=32) and this is where you should see a notable difference in scores between IDE and AHCI modes.

In regards to your actual boot time question I would agree you have something else most likely unrelated to your SSD that is causing the slow boot times. I haven't timed my Win7 system but I would say it boots well under 30sec.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Switch to AHCI. It makes a big difference, because when you start W7 a lot of small files are loaded in parallel.Here is the result for my computer before and after I switched in W7 to AHCI:

IDE Mode

AHCI mode

The most important test is the 4K QD32. This tests reading a lot of small files in 32 parallel threads. 18 vs 160 MB/s makes a big difference and is caused by the command queing support that that AHCI has.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My computer currently takes 20-25 seconds to boot into my desktop (and for the hourglass to go away).

Here is my latest benchmark:

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My computer takes longer than it should to startup as well. I have an X25-m G2 80GB running win7 64.

Crystaldisk numbers look good, but takes atleast 30 secs to get from start of 'starting windows' screen to desktop.

Don't have much software installed, but have an external esata drive connected to my onboard sata ports via an external bracket, and 2 500gb 7200 hdds in raid 0. Therefore my bios is set to raid rather than ahci.

If I were to get rid of my raid drives, and switch to ahci, is this likely to speed up my boot time? I'm getting S.M.A.R.T warnings for the raid drives anyway, so might be time for them to go.

Or could it be the esata? This certainly adds to my bios post time, but I'm more concerned about the actual windows loading time.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have 32bit win 7 and I am booting in 25 sec from button on and windows itself 15 sec.