cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else had a repeat 8mb brick on 320 ssd AFTER firmware update.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Had my 320 ssd for a month, all going well till a usb device BSOD my win7, rebooted to find my disk at 8mb. Waited for firmware update last wednesday as lots of forum discussion. Did Secure erase and firmware update to v1.9 and restored partition on friday. Today usb BSOD again (visual studio blow up, im a software developer) and rebooted to find the drive again 8mb. Anyone else had this problem, looks to me like the firmware update did not fix this type of issue.

Greg.

86 REPLIES 86

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello.

Today I was working and suddenly got BSoD on my SSDSA2CW300G3 with firmware 4PC10362. BSoD was telling me, that memory minidump has failed (I guess, disk was already dead at that minute). After booting from other media, disk had 8 MB and Serial Number: BAD_CTX 00000159. I did Secure Erase, and all my data has gone, for sure.

Dear Intel, what else should I do to prevent repetition of this issue in future and to prevent further data losts?

Thank you.

AKouf
New Contributor

Hi vanav...

Which program indicated your serial number? (BAD_CTX 00000159) Intel Toolbox?

It seems now clearly to me that every ssd failure results to 8mb capacity but with different serial numbers!

This is a bit relaxing cause 8mb must be any hw failure or any firmware bug which has nothing to do with the firmware 0362 which fixes specifically the BAD_CTX 0000013x error due to unsafe power (as Intel say).

Did you confirm the serial number with other programs as well? THX & sry for the english

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've read serial number with Intel SSD Toolbox → View Drive Information → Export [to CSV].

You're right, last firmware update fixes only "BAD_CTX 0000013x", and I got no power loss.

But this issue looks very similar, in all cases we got:

1) size is 8 MB (Total Number of user addressable sectors: 00004000, Maximum User 48-Bit LBA: 0000000000004000),

2) S.M.A.R.T. is disabled,

3) Serial Number: BAD_CTX 00000xxx,

4) disk is fully operational after Secure Erase.

Looks like good hardware and bug in firmware.

Other codes, possibly related: /message/122329 BAD_CTX 00000166 bug, /message/138322 BAD_CTX 0000012D bug (was restored to working condition by Secure Erase).

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It is very annoying that Intel does NOT comment on the expectation that firmware 4PC10362 ONLY solves the BAD_CTX0000013X error and that all other BAD_CTX000001xx errors, which are recoverable by a 'Secure Erase', are NOT related and should be seen as different firmware issues/bugs!

This Intel 320 SSD series (shipped April 2011!) declines more and more to a product, not to be recommended to anyone!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

test