cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Intel 520 AES keys encrypted with ATA password?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

(I've also posted this question, slightly differently worded, as a reply to another relevant discussion: /message/174081# 174081 http://communities.intel.com/message/174081# 174081 )

I'm putting together a blog post on vxlabs.com listing drives that do and don't do usable AES encryption, that is encryption where the AES keys are themselves also encrypted with a user password.

All of the Intel documentation on the 520 (AES tech brief; the manual; etc.) vaguely states that the security is based on the AES encryption together with the ATA password, but I have not been able to find any official documentation confirming or denying the following details:

1. Is the ATA password used to encrypt the AES keys?
  2. Is the ATA password itself stored as an irreversible hash?

I know that both of these have been confirmed for the 320, but I'd like to see explicit proof for the 520 as well. It's a new drive with a new controller, so it's not guaranteed that Intel has followed exactly the same path as with the 320. Once again: I'm looking for proof, either in official Intel documentation, or by an Intel representative, or by drive firmware hacking.r

5 REPLIES 5

KenF_Intel
Contributor

Hello All,

I can confirm that the Intel® SSD 520 Series drives encrypt the ATA passwords in the same manner as Intel® SSD 320 Series.

We apologize for the delay in responding to this question