cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are My Writes Slow?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

In comparing my benchmarks with other I have seen on this forum, I find that my read speeds seem similar to others but my write speeds are lower. This has been the case since the first benchmark run, right after setting up the new PC, so I'm guessing it's nothing to do with TRIM. Win 7 64-bit and my driver is msahci.sys, no RAID. Any thoughts as to why the writes are slower than others have reported?

Thanks,

Sally

26 REPLIES 26

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It is kind of weird, what you get for Sequential Writes. You should have 80+ for sequesntial write speed. Something is not quite right with your setup, but the problem is finding out what it is. What kind of anti-virus and firewall are you using? Are there any "flags" in Device manager? Any issues shown in SMART with SSD Toolbox? I'm just taking shots in the dark here.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials

Firewall: Internal Windows Firewall is ON. Only other Firewall is in my router.

No flags in Device Manager.

No issues showing up in SMART or in Diagnostic Scans run in Toolbox.

Do you think it might be interesting to run Optimizer, even though in theory it isn't necessary as I'm using the M/S driver? Is it harmful to use Optimizer to TRIM while windows is doing it automatically?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

No, running the optimizer shouldn't cause any problem, so give it a try and post back here.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My PC is new, with a clean Windows 7 install. The guys who built it ran bench tests before they sent it to me and the same slow write speed showed up in those initial results.

So I figured it probably wasn't related to needing to be trimmed. But I've just run the Optimizer and hey, presto! It sure looks like the slow write speed was a TRIM issue. Now I'm going to keep an eye on it to see whether Windows will keep it in shape with auto trim as it's meant to.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Looks good! I'm glad you got it working. It is strange you had to run the optimizer, but hey, all is well that ends well.

Check it again in about 5-7 days and post the results here.