cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are My Writes Slow?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

In comparing my benchmarks with other I have seen on this forum, I find that my read speeds seem similar to others but my write speeds are lower. This has been the case since the first benchmark run, right after setting up the new PC, so I'm guessing it's nothing to do with TRIM. Win 7 64-bit and my driver is msahci.sys, no RAID. Any thoughts as to why the writes are slower than others have reported?

Thanks,

Sally

26 REPLIES 26

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I forgot to ask, do you have Disk Defragmenter disabled?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have almost the same setup, P7P55D Pro, 8 GB, i7 860, Win7 64-bit, msahci driver, MS Security Essentials. I was getting the expected performance last time I ran the benchmark.

Have you installed anything else that may have added a filter driver to the storage stack: encryption, or something else you can think of?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If you don't know how to check for Disk Defragmenter, click the Windows icon (first icon on bottom left) and type services local in the Search bar; then click on View local services and scroll to where it says Disk Defragmenter and look to see if it is on Manual, Automatic, or Disabled. If you only use an SSD, then you can set it for Disabled--it should not be running for an SSD.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have other, non-SSD drives on the system. One of the first things I did was to check the Disk Defrag Schedule. My SSD drive is not available for including in scheduled defrags (as Windows recognises that it is an SSD drive).

Thanks for all the help. I'll report back in 7 to 10 days.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Is Superfetch disabled?