cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are the Intel G2 SSDs telling Windows 7 they are a SSD upon install?

MJohn29
New Contributor

New/empty 160GB G2 with latest firmware from 10/26/2009.

P55 chipset on a Intel DP55KG motherboard with latest BIOS.

Storage controller set to AHCI in BIOS.

Installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Upon install, checked for automatic SSD optimizations that are supposed to be done if and only if the SSD properly notifies Windows 7 that it is a SSD.

Noticed that defrag was turned ON (the Intel SSD is my only drive in the computer)

Prefetch and Superfetch both turned ON per the registry

Drive Indexing turned ON (not sure if this was supposed to be turned OFF or not).

Whats up with this? Are these drives not communicating with Windows 7 properly upon install?

19 REPLIES 19

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

What are you talking about? I have 7.7 in WEI and defrag was on--7.7 is not good enough?!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

@ Valkirk. What makes you say this? I could not remember if I manually disabled defrag before I ran WEI but if I did that might have explained why it did not occur automatically. To test this I set defrag to auto. I reran the WEI, ran the pc for an hour or so and then rebooted. On reboot defrag is still on.

(@Ambizytl - Ha, the answer from the Intel rep could still be read either way.....but I will concede gracefully. I don't know, the things you have to do to get a response from Intel )

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

From what you told me, I wonder if getting a response means anything.

I can't even get a decent response from Microsoft on why our SSD are not recognized and why those services are not turned off. For all we know, maybe those high Host Writes in SMART in Toolbox have to do with those services not being turned off.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Bingo ambizytl!

You are correct, not only that, Microsoft will not tell you that they are updating at least about 15+ log files. When I had an HP and the beta WIN 7 i disabled every log file that was being updated by Windows, plus i moved some to my Hard Drive to alleviate. Go check your systems and see what i'm saying. If I install WIN7 in my virtual environment, i will let you know where you can check for this stuff..

All you have to do is go and look in at the Performance options(i forget exactly), and you will see that your drive is constantly being updated and written to, even without prefetcher, indexing, etc.

No matter what Microsoft claims WIN7, was not designed from the ground up to take advantage of SSDs. Disabling the prefetcher and other services at installation time is not the only steps that Microsoft should have taken. Basically, win7 at is core is a re-make of Vista and Vista did not take into account SSD's, so why would win7.

I guarantee you that those high Host Writes are accurate.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Again, FWIW - I've run WEI several times after the fresh install and the drive was not recognized as an SSD. I turned off Superfetch and Disk Defragmentation manually.