cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are the SSDSCKKB480G801 and SSDSCKKB480G8R the same?

mimar
New Contributor

I'm looking for a 480 GB M.2 SSD for my DELL BOSS-S1 controller. SSDSCKKB480G8R from the supported SSDs list is not available (neither from DELL nor from my country's resellers). However there's a SSDSCKKB480G801 available.

What is the difference between them?

Are they the same SSDs but with two different brandings (SSDSCKKB480G801 for retail, SSDSCKKB480G8R for DELL)?

If I try to install DELL firmware for SSDSCKKB480G8R to a SSDSCKKB480G801 SSD, will it fail or succeed?

Unfortunately neither DELL nor the Internet gave me an answer.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello, mimar.

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

As we understand, you need assistance with the Intel® SSD D3-S4510 Series. If we infer correctly, we will appreciate it if you can review the following information:

1-The OEM hardware usually has custom firmware and different adjustments, or changes performed at the firmware level by the system manufacturer, to include or to limit certain features. All this said, your first point of contact should be the original equipment manufacturer (OEM).

2- Intel®, as the drive manufacturer, produced the drives for different form factors and features and validates the compatibility with Intel® equipment such as servers and NUC's, OEM motherboard manufacturer build their boards with some of these form factors.

They decide how does the memory, processors, and drives are going to work once installed. So we have no control of that information besides what is available in public knowledge bases from their websites.

To answer your questions:

-The Dell* version of this SSD comes with firmware and features included by the OEM.

For more information regarding the Intel® SSD D3-S4510 Series, please visit:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134921/intel-ssd-d3-s4510-series-480gb-m-2-80mm...

Are they the same SSDs but with two different brandings (SSDSCKKB480G801 for retail, SSDSCKKB480G8R for DELL)?

-Yes, they are the same SSD with a difference in firmware and some characteristics.

For more information regarding the features or firmware of the OEM SSD, please contact Dell*.

If I try to install DELL firmware for SSDSCKKB480G8R to an SSDSCKKB480G801 SSD, will it fail or succeed?

- This process is not recommended or supported by Intel®. If you try to force the firmware update on this SSD, it may end up unusable. In theory, this is not possible since we do not provide OEM firmware for our SSDs in our tools like Intel® MAS (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30379?v=t).

Another point is that we do not validate the usage of expansion cards like your Dell* BOSS-S1 Boot Optimized Server Storage Controller Card, and we can not assure compatibility.

One more time, we advise you to contact the OEM Dell* to check compatibility, features, and the configuration necessary to use this SSD.

We hope you find this information helpful.

We will follow up with you again on Friday, the 16th of April 2021, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please let me know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello, mimar.

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

As we understand, you need assistance with the Intel® SSD D3-S4510 Series. If we infer correctly, we will appreciate it if you can review the following information:

1-The OEM hardware usually has custom firmware and different adjustments, or changes performed at the firmware level by the system manufacturer, to include or to limit certain features. All this said, your first point of contact should be the original equipment manufacturer (OEM).

2- Intel®, as the drive manufacturer, produced the drives for different form factors and features and validates the compatibility with Intel® equipment such as servers and NUC's, OEM motherboard manufacturer build their boards with some of these form factors.

They decide how does the memory, processors, and drives are going to work once installed. So we have no control of that information besides what is available in public knowledge bases from their websites.

To answer your questions:

-The Dell* version of this SSD comes with firmware and features included by the OEM.

For more information regarding the Intel® SSD D3-S4510 Series, please visit:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134921/intel-ssd-d3-s4510-series-480gb-m-2-80mm...

-Yes, they are the same SSD with a difference in firmware and some characteristics.

For more information regarding the features or firmware of the OEM SSD, please contact Dell*.

If I try to install DELL firmware for SSDSCKKB480G8R to an SSDSCKKB480G801 SSD, will it fail or succeed?

- This process is not recommended or supported by Intel®. If you try to force the firmware update on this SSD, it may end up unusable. In theory, this is not possible since we do not provide OEM firmware for our SSDs in our tools like Intel® MAS (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30379?v=t).

Another point is that we do not validate the usage of expansion cards like your Dell* BOSS-S1 Boot Optimized Server Storage Controller Card, and we can not assure compatibility.

One more time, we advise you to contact the OEM Dell* to check compatibility, features, and the configuration necessary to use this SSD.

We hope you find this information helpful.

We will follow up with you again on Friday, the 16th of April 2021, if we do not receive an answer from you. Please let me know if you would like to schedule a different date for the follow-up.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician.

According to DELL documentation, DELL customer support and DELL community this drive should work, but won't be supported by DELL tools (e.g. iDRAC). I'll give it a try.