Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Solid State Drives
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4367 Discussions

Automatic partition alignment with Intel Data Migration Software?

FWest1
Novice

Hello,

I'm planning to replace the HDD in my laptop with an Intel 540s SSD. I intend to migrate the full content of the HDD to the new SSD using the Intel Data Migration Software.

Will this software take care of re-aligning the partitions on the SSD, or do I need a separate partition alignment tool for that?

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Fritzz,

The Intel® Data Migration Software will allow you to choose between Automatic and Manual Clone Mode:

- Automatic mode will choose the best settings for your drive automatically.

- Manual mode will allow you the following choices:

- Manually: you'll specify what size each partition will be.

- Proportionally: new disk space will be proportionally distributed between cloned partitions.

- "As is": partition sizes and distribution will remain the same. Unused space will be left unallocated.

Generally, we like to recommend manual mode. Or "as is" mode, then expanding your partitions as necessary with the Disk Management tool included with your Windows* installation.

We hope this answers your question. Feel free to let us know if you have any additional doubts.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
FWest1
Novice

Hello Carlos,

Thank you for the info. My question refers to this:

https://www.howtogeek.com/270358/how-to-speed-up-your-solid-state-drive-by-re-aligning-its-partition... https://www.howtogeek.com/270358/how-to-speed-up-your-solid-state-drive-by-re-aligning-its-partition...

"A typical mechanical hard drive generally starts its first partition after 63 empty blocks, while a solid-state drive starts its first partition after 64 empty blocks."

And:

"However, if you migrated an existing Windows installation from an old mechanical hard drive to a solid state drive, the software may not have accounted for this. Some do, some don't. If it didn't, your partitions won't be correctly aligned, and which can slow down your SSD."

Does the Intel Data Migration Software take care of this?

Thanks again.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Fritzz,

Since we've been unable to track down this information for you, we've requested an HDD to test in our lab and find out.

We should have an answer for you by tomorrow (by the 10th of May).

Best regards,

Carlos A.
idata
Community Manager

Hello Fritzz,

After a couple of tests, we have confirmed that the Intel® Data Migration Software does account for partition alignment. You should not need any additional steps nor third-party tools for your drive to perform as it should.

We tested this by installing Windows* on an HDD, after which we checked the Partition Starting Offset for all partitions. We then migrated the OS into an Intel® SSD 540s Series using the automatic and then the manual methods and checked all the Partition Starting Offsets again using the method described in the article you shared with us.

We hope this information helps. Feel free to let us know if you have any additional questions.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
FWest1
Novice

Hi Carlos,

Thank you for testing!

Cheers,

Fritzz