cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Availability / Release Date of 34nm X18-M "Postville" SSDs?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Greetings!

Since the actual Postville Release now dates quite some time back, and the 2.5" variant is occasionally available, I wonder about what happened to the Postville version of X18-M?

I'm about to replace my old Subnotebook with a new one, that accepts only 1.8" µSATA drives, so I would like to use the 2nd Generation 160GB X18-M in the new Subnotebook (a Sony Vaio TT).

Now, I have searched the web for weeks, but neither could I find a single available Postville X18-M, nor any information about its actual release date. Does anybody have an ETA on this? I would love to know, so I can better plan the actual purchase. I'm waiting for this now since the first X25-M Postvilles started to show up with that - in my case negligible - firmware bug.

So, if anybody has any idea about when the 2nd Gen X18-M will be released, such information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

*push*

I'm quite anxious to know about this too! It seem to be easier to find a unicorn than a 34nm x18-m

I'd love to have an x18-m g2 in my thinkpad t400s. (1.8" hdd in a 14.1" laptop? was that REALLY necessary?)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have asked CSolid here from the forums, and I also had the opportunity to talk directly to an Intel Guy from germany. CSolid said, that there basically are no G2 X18-M yet, while the Intel Guy told me that there actually "should be". But still, if you check, they simply don't seem to exist at all. There are no Review Samples anywhere to be seen, only X25-M, if you check the major Hardware websites. Additionally, there is not a single OEM currently delivering Notebooks with an X18-M G2 builtin, only X25-M are available as an option (like in Hewlett Packards Business Notebooks, e.g. the 2530p Elitebook).

Bottom Line is: I think they do simply not exist... I wonder why Intel isn't somehow officially commenting on this... Just by looking at the Intel Website one would assume, that the X18-M G2 is released, just like the X25-M G2, when it is apparently not... It seems this drive is currently nothing more than "hot air" as we say in german...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

And here I am, with a brand-new Engineering Sample of an X18-M G2, 160GB, sent to me by Intel. I am now a very unhappy person, because I have to send it back within 4 weeks, lol...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

you lucky bastard!

enjoy it while you can!