cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Availability / Release Date of 34nm X18-M "Postville" SSDs?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Greetings!

Since the actual Postville Release now dates quite some time back, and the 2.5" variant is occasionally available, I wonder about what happened to the Postville version of X18-M?

I'm about to replace my old Subnotebook with a new one, that accepts only 1.8" µSATA drives, so I would like to use the 2nd Generation 160GB X18-M in the new Subnotebook (a Sony Vaio TT).

Now, I have searched the web for weeks, but neither could I find a single available Postville X18-M, nor any information about its actual release date. Does anybody have an ETA on this? I would love to know, so I can better plan the actual purchase. I'm waiting for this now since the first X25-M Postvilles started to show up with that - in my case negligible - firmware bug.

So, if anybody has any idea about when the 2nd Gen X18-M will be released, such information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Does that mean we won't see the G2s out for at least another four weeks?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have not the slightest idea. This is the first live X18-M G2 i have ever seen anywhere (including the web), and it is clearly not a production model. See:

I haven't even seen another sample like this anywhere on the web, there are no reviews at any of the large websites like Anands or Toms, there is no nothing. Actually, I was very surprised that this thing even exists, given that there is next to no coverage in all the online media. The Intel Representative who sent me the disk just said, that 2nd Generation "is there", and that every piece you buy now should be 2nd Gen, but i dunno. I still can't find any such disks on the market, world-wide.

No idea, sorry...

uIT
New Contributor

Is there any update on the expected release for the X18-M. I am expecting to buy a new laptop in the next month or so that will be using the 1.8" form factor. I was hoping that these drives would be out by now.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The is some information available since 1 week or so. One of the major european price comparison sites (usually a trusted source of information, called geizhals.at or geizhals.at/eu) has now listed the X18-M G2 Postville. There is still no available unit though, most shops list it as being available in "2-3 weeks". But at least it seems to be on the distributors lists now, so this is a step forward. I suppose we might see those in February. Maybe a bit earlier in the US than in the EU.

uIT
New Contributor

Thanks for the update. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they are out soon and that there isn't a big premium compared to their 2.5" counterpart.