cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic/Fresh Install Questions

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This may seem like a very basic question, but can anyone guide me on getting my SSD installed on a new PC build with a fresh install of Windows 7 64-bit? It would be a big help.

The components I have are: EVGA 3X SLI motherboard, two 640GB Western Digital harddrives for storage (would like to set them up in RAID 0), a 80GB Intel SSD.

My motherboard bios needs to be updated and so does the firmware of the SSD.

Do I update the motherboard bios first, then install Windows 7 64-bit, then install the SSD (and update the firmware after I get things running)?

Also, when installing the two 60GB harddrives, should I leave it in IDE mode and then change to ACHI mode before installing the Intel SSD? Once I get Windows installed, what setting should I use? I read about disabling prefetch, superfetch, pagefile, and defrag. Could someone guide me on how to get maximum performance after the fresh install of Windows?

Once again, I apologize for the very basic/noob questions. This is my first SSD install ever and I just want to make sure I'm doing things correctly (and in the proper order).

Thanks,

~ Im2bz2p345

5 REPLIES 5

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you dll2k4, that article was a good read and helped a lot.

~ Im2bz2p345