cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BitLocker hardware encryption in Windows 8

MBerm
New Contributor

Does the Intel 520 Series SSD work with BitLocker to use the drive's intrinsic hardware encryption, instead of BitLocker's software encryption. We are testing a number of SSDs with Windows 8.1.

Some drives do this-- the encryption/decryption is immediate and offloads the encryption process from the CPU. I've gotten the Samsung 840 EVO line to do this, but not the Intel 520 Series.

Is BitLocker hardware encryption not supported by the Intel 520 Series drives? If not, which series Intel SSDs do support BitLocker hardware encryption?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

We do not currently have drives that support Microsoft* eDrive. Select future models will have support.

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

Thank you. We are checking with engineering regarding Microsoft* eDrive support.

Hi,

additional question:

To run eDrives with Microsoft BITLocker you need UEFI-Firmware 2.3.1 with support of "EFI_STORAGE-SECURITY_COMMANFD_PROTOCOL".

Do the Mainboards DZ87KTL-75K and DH87MC support this?

MBerm
New Contributor

Klaus-- I'm a corporate IT person, in a department that is outfitted with HP Compaq Elite 8300 small form factor computers. These computers were delivered a few months ago, and have the firmware that was shipped (HP has no firmware updates listed).

We installed Windows 8.1 enterprise 64 bit (UEFI boot) on Samsung 840 EVO SSDs (having updated the firmware in the SSD) and eDrive hardware encryption worked. Same process and hardware encryption did not work on the Intel SSD.

I'd be happy to get you more information, but I don't know how to answer your question about the Intel Mainboards.

KDick1
New Contributor

Tom2,

thank you for your answer.

I am planing a desktop-PC for private use with Samsung or INTEL SED. These INTEL-Boards are the only ones I found which support ATA-Security. But do they support eDrive hardware encryption with BITLocker?

I hope joe_intel can answer my question.

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

Both motherboards you mentioned support UEFI 2.3.1 and eDrives. We are still checking about the SSDs.