cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BitLocker hardware encryption in Windows 8

MBerm
New Contributor

Does the Intel 520 Series SSD work with BitLocker to use the drive's intrinsic hardware encryption, instead of BitLocker's software encryption. We are testing a number of SSDs with Windows 8.1.

Some drives do this-- the encryption/decryption is immediate and offloads the encryption process from the CPU. I've gotten the Samsung 840 EVO line to do this, but not the Intel 520 Series.

Is BitLocker hardware encryption not supported by the Intel 520 Series drives? If not, which series Intel SSDs do support BitLocker hardware encryption?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

We do not currently have drives that support Microsoft* eDrive. Select future models will have support.

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

Thanks for posting your question.

Intel® SSDs use a built-in hardware encryption which is independent from Bitlocker*. As far as I can see, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/hardware-requirements-for-bitlocker-drive-encryptio... Bitlocker's requirements just involve having 2 partitions and NTFS in the drive, besides TPM on the board.

I will update this thread if I find more information about this.

Joe-- Is your answer an official reply from Intel? Are you an Intel employee?

I think there is more to it than whether the SSD performs hardware encryption. The Samsung 840 line had a recent firmware upgrade that allowed the hardware encryption to be controlled by BitLocker. Prior to this upgrade, the Samsung SSDs were not compatible with BitLocker hardware encryption.

The SSD needs to pass the encryption key back and forth from the TPM chip for BitLocker to use intrinsic hardware encryption instead of BitLocker's usual software encryption.

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

I am from Intel and we are researching this. Just to be clear, when you say Bitlocker Hardware Encryption, are you referring to Microsoft* eDrive?

Hi-

Yes, I am.

It's pretty convenient because encryption/decryption is so fast (immediate).

If you open a command line in windows\system32 and type

manage-bde -status c:

it returns a description of the encryption status which includes a line

Encryption Method: Hardware Encryption - 1.3.111.2.1619.0.1.2

confirming that hardware encryption is being used.