cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot Problems with 750

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm hopping someone can help me I have a Gigabyte Z170x-Gaming G1 Motherboard with a Intel 750 Series SSD(SSDPE2MW400G4R5).

The Intel 750 SSD is connected on the GC-M2-U2-MiniSAS card that came with the Motherboard and the cable that came with the drive.

When I boot from a complete power off I get the error "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

hitting any key just gives the same error. If from this screen a perform a CTRL+ALT+DEL then the computer will boot up without any problems.

If from power off state I boot and try the F12 for Boot Menu it has the drive listed and when I select it I get the same result

The computer will restart without problems unless I go to a power off state it works fine

I'm using the F4 firmware for the Gigabyte motherboard

I'm using the 8EV10171 firmware for the Intel SSD?

Do you have any suggestions on what I can try and or do Thanks in advance
6 REPLIES 6

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Wow I have looked around that net and thought I was the only one with this problem.

To provide an update I again have rebuild everything from making sure proper GPT partition and OS are setup on the drive. Updated motherboard to latest F5 Bios. I also even got a new GC-M2-U2-MiniSAS card. Doing all this I'm back to it not seeing a boot sector from power off state and then all that's required is CTRL+ALT+DEL and it all boots up normally.

In the middle of all this I did install a Sata SSD and just so everyone knows that works without problem.

Currently running with it like this as once it's up every test suggested and tried work without any problem.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

TScha5
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

K4kman, did you see my other post under the thread "/thread/80552?sr=inbox Getting Intel 750 SSD to install and boot Windows 7 on z170 motherboard" ? I think I figured it out. For me it was as simple as updating BIOS again, but this was an update that Gigabyte sent me. I checked and they still haven't posted it to their website...not sure why. But the name of the BIOS update is F6b. Once I flashed to the new BIOS everything was good. I can boot straight to Windows and the drive performs fine. I would post the BIOS update here but there's no way to do that, or if Intel would want me to. But if you just email Gigabyte Support and tell them you're having the same problem as me and ask them to email it to you I'm sure they will. They literally emailed it to me the day after I asked for an update. I'm like 99% positive that is what will fix your problem.

Also, a few other tips. I don't know if this necessarily had any effect but what I did was this...

1.) Turn PC off and take the Intel 750 PCIe drive out of the PCIe slot.

2.) Turn PC on and flash the BIOS to F6b. (You shouldn't need to even change any settings in BIOS after that....Like you don't need to load "Optimized Defaults" or disable CMS blah blah blah... In fact, I think they completely took out that option in this BIOS update.). But, you may still want to disable Fast Boot, as I've read that that can sometimes effect booting from NVMe-based drives. BTW, at this point I already had Windows installed and working fine because I had used BIOS F5 udpdate which was almost perfect. The only thing I was unable to do is cold boot (from powered off state) straight to Windows. It was booting to BIOS, then I'd hit Save & Exit, and it would go to Windows. But I still hated that so I asked for a newer BIOS update. That's when they emailed me BIOS F6b, which fixed it. Now I boot straight to Windows 10 from powered off state.

3.) Ok, so now that you updated to BIOS F6b just turn PC off, slide the Intel 750 PCIe SSD into the PC (I used the very bottom slot, PCIe x4).

4.) Boot it up. Voila. Should be done.

Hope this helps,

Tyson