cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bricked SSD Drive after encryption removal.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi folks. So I had an SSD drive I was using with BIOS level encryption via fingerprint reader. I thought I turned it off but I guess I didn't. Long story short, I can't get the password I thought it was to work and the drive is completely unusable at this point. I don't need the data back but I would like to have the drive working. Can someone tell me how to fix this? It's an Intel SSD drive if that matters. Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Considering that's how one protects drives against thieves, you're not one, right? The only thing that comes to mind is to haul that drive into another computer and format it. Hopefully you'll get a new disk signature. That may be enough that BIOS doesn't recognize the drive, but I wouldn't count on it. You'll probably need to reset BIOS, as well.

I haven't a clue if this will work, that's why I stay away from this kinda stuff. Maybe some security expert can steer you straight. Good luck.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Believe it or not no I am not a thief. Just someone with a nice and hosed SSD drive that I'd prefer not to have to pay to replace. I've tried pretty much everything at this point including everything you said but I have had no luck. Thanks.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yeah, didn't really think you were a thief, had to ask. It's just a crazy age we're living in.

Anyway, if you tried it in another computer, and that didn't work, chances are that hardware encryption at the disk controller level was used. I hate to be the downer, but there doesn't seem to be any tougher type of encryption than the firmware type. The drive isn't going to cooperate unless it gets what it wants (the encryption key).

Maybe MBV2000 knows something, it's worth a shot. However, I bet you do know the password. Ain't saying this is going to be easy, but I bet you can remember the password and get your disk back. This *might* be the only way.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you both for the replies. I think I have tried the toolbox but I can't remember if I had it in an USB dock when I did it or attached via SATA. I know it did not see the drive either way. I will give that another shot and re-post. thanks again.