cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug after firmware update 2CV102M3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi! After update my SSD the line 09 "Power-On Hours Count" in SMART don't work. Has stopped on value 357 and doesn't change. All other lines work. Why the such has occurred? My configuration:

Asus P8P67 Pro

Intel X25-M SATA2 SSD (SSDSA2MH080G2R5) 80GbWestern Digital WD1001FALS SATA2 HDD 1000GbOptiarc DVD RW AD-7263S

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 and last Intel RST driver

I tried to connect the SSD to other ports SATA2 and SATA3, but nothing has changed. How can I fix it? Thanx!

22 REPLIES 22

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

BTW, my Intel SSD is on an ICH10R.

Your friend and you are both on P/H67? Both the same mobo as well? Try redux's suggestion with the different controller.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ok, no problem, sorry for my rant, but after reading complaints by people on this and other forums where they seem to demand instant answers to their issues, when many of them are due to their own ignorance (not in this case) I just get sick of it.

Now, I do wonder what in the world you or anyone could have done to have one of their SMART attributes stop incrementing. That is strange and AFAIK not possible to do. It is possible to disable SMART monitoring (or is that reporting) but that is everything, not one value. So you are seeing other attributes changing but not the Hours On Count?

Since this firmware update included "adds improvements to SMART attributes..." (from the Release Notes) which implies changes to the code that works with that data, it is not unreasonable to wonder if an issue or problem was unintentionally introduced. Given the interactions between the firmware, the OS, and whatever else is involved, and all the different possibilities that exist, issues are quite possible.

In reading about SMART, I noticed that the programs involved may only work under an Administrative account. Also, drives in a RAID array will not have SMART data reported correctly. It was also stated that their are no industry wide standards for hardware and software interchange of SMART data. I've seen weird values for HDDs, such as huge numbers that make no sense, but I don't pay any attention to them, I assume they are just wrong. For example, SSD Toolbox shows, for a HDD, "Host Writes" of 127.54 PB. If I can translate the acronym literally, that would be Peta-Bytes, or 1000 TeraBytes. That HDD is not very old and has little usage, so that value is obviously wrong. But who knows where the problem with that number comes from?

Questions, what version of SSD Toolbox are you using? What SATA mode are you using?

BTW, who is Captain Obvious?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

redux, DuckieHo

Earlier this SSD worked on Gigabyte EP43 and ICH10. In this configuration, there were no problems. Bug found after upgrade to P67 and after SSD firmware update. SATA from the Marvell controller did not try. Tomorrow will do it and be sure to write the results. Thanks for the idea! Yes! My friend uses a MB P67 as I do. Unfortunately other motherboards I have not.

parsec

No problem Other parameters are changing. For example Host Writes constantly added and Power Cycle Count. I'm using the latest version Intel SSD ToolBox 2.0.1.000. SATA works in AHCI mode. Installed the latest driver Intel RST. I do not use RAID. Really unclear situation... I will try with the different controller.

P.S. http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Captian_Obvious Who is Captain Obvious

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I connected the SSD to the port Marvell, the result - Power-On Hours Count began to count the hours! 2:00 added... This great. I will try to connect back to the Intel SATA and delete the Intel RST.

Add

I uninstall the Intel ® Rapid Storage Technology Driver 10.1.0.1008 and now everything works well. Hours are counted ... As I understand it, the problem between the Intel ® P67 Express Chipset - Intel ® RST - Intel ® SSD. Cause of the problem is found, will wait for a new driver RST. I read that it should soon be released. Thank you all for help in my problem!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Good to hear... odd that only that specific SMART value was affected and not being read.