cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Beware !

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

After waiting for four months, i finally got my 1.8" form factor 320 series drive installed. However, I was getting ready to order the two additional drives for the two other machines that are due for an upgrade ( from 80 GB G2 to 160 GB G3) when I realized that the 1.8" drives I bought are the OEM variety and do not qualify for the 5 year extended warranty that is standard on the retail packs of the 2.5" drives. Now we all know that Intel has yet to release retail versions of the 1.8" form factor. In fact INTEL kept people like me waiting an inordinate amount of time for the 1.8" form factor and then this ! I paid retail price and yet it is not my fault that the ony drives avialble in this form factor anywhere on this planet are only OEM versions . Why do I care ? Why should my drives not be covered under the same warranty as the retail versions that are available in the 2.5" form factor. I demand that INTEL extende the 5 year warranty to the drive I bought , since really I am a retail customer and I paid retail price to purchase my drive from a reseller/online retailer. So why this discrimination ?

9 REPLIES 9

DSilv11
New Contributor II

That one is harder to address.

The OEM pack usually releases first to get OEM the opportunity to integrate a new product and release Time to Market with the product release.

But since the OEM's are releasing now, where is the retail customer product?

A good question, which I can't answer.

Maybe someone in the SSD marketing group can comment.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

An acceptable solution would be for INTEL to offer up the extended warranty on the OEM pack being sold through retailers like Newegg or Buy.com , to end consumers like myself. I don't care much for the additional cables and/ or cases that are part of the Retail package except I do care about the extra warranty.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Wow, when I purchased 320 retail, I thought the extra $10 was for the inclusion of the adapter bracket and cables (and a fancy box). Do oem models have any manufacturer warranty at all?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Only 1 year of warranty on the OEMs. Life sucks !!! Frankly that should be Intel tag line now that I think about it ......

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

All,

Just wanted to clarify that the 1.8 inch 320 series OEM drive does have some warranty differences, but that it's still a five year limited warranty. Read about it in detail here:

http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-032512.htm http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-032512.htm

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Scott, Intel Corporation