cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I run DC P4510 1TB U.2 SSD with PCIe 3.1 on motherboard with PCIe 3.0?

Bob
New Contributor

I had Intel SSD: 400GB 750 Series U.2 Connection PCIe 3.0 (x4)

I am trying to replace it with: 1TB DC P4510 U.2 PCIe 3.1 (x4)

The motherboard is Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA with PCIe 3.0

When I replace old disk with new one - the system doesnt POST at all (screens are in standby and nothing is happening but the system is powered up).

I assumed the PCIe should backward compatible. Or was it wrong assumption?

Can I run PCIe 3.1 SSD on motherboard with PCIe 3.0 ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DiegoV_Intel
Contributor II

Hi VMold1,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

As far as I know, PCIe 3.1 devices can work on PCIe 3.0 slots, so you should not get any issues.

Based on your description, my recommendation is to check with ASUS* if your motherboard requires a BIOS update, or maybe a configuration at BIOS level so the drive can be recognized properly.

Even though the system doesn’t boot, you should still be able to enter in BIOS and check if the drive appears.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

DiegoV_Intel
Contributor II

Hi VMold1,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

As far as I know, PCIe 3.1 devices can work on PCIe 3.0 slots, so you should not get any issues.

Based on your description, my recommendation is to check with ASUS* if your motherboard requires a BIOS update, or maybe a configuration at BIOS level so the drive can be recognized properly.

Even though the system doesn’t boot, you should still be able to enter in BIOS and check if the drive appears.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

Thank you. I think I have a DOA item. Sending it back to the shop.

Re: BIOS - system does not POST even. The monitors, keyboard and mouse are not powered. Only the system block is powered. I am not talking about system not booting. Its appeared to hang before anything happen at all (hence POST - power-on self test). Works fine if I connect old disk.