cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I treat the Intel DC P3600 1.6TB PCIE NVME as a normal ssd and use it as a boot drive without any repercussions?

JOnga
New Contributor

I'm using the ASUS PRIME X370-PRO AM4 motherboard. I would like to use the Intel DC P3600 1.6TB PCIE NVME as a normal ssd and install Windows 10 on it. I don't have any other drives. If it does work, what problems could I encounter?

11 REPLIES 11

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello janeong,

Thank you for the information provided. Now that you have installed Intel® SSD Data Center Tool, please follow the steps specified on the Intel® Solid State Drive Data Center Tool – User Guide (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/Intel_SSD_DCT_3_0_x_Use... https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/Intel_SSD_DCT_3_0_x_Use...😞

1. Run the tool from the command prompt (run as administrator).
  2. Locate the directory where you installed the tool.
  3. Enter the following command to show the devices present in your system: isdct show -intelssd
  4. The previous command will also show the firmware installed in your SSD, compare it with the latest firmware available (8DV101H0), if it is not the same, enter the following command ("1" stands for your drive index, which is showed in the previous command): isdct load –intelssd 1

If you encounter any issue along the process, please post the corresponding images in this thread.

Please let me know the outcome of this.

Regards,Andres V.

JOnga
New Contributor

Entering isdct show -intelssd produces No results

Entering isdct load -intelssd 1 produces

Warning! You have selected to update the drives firmware!

Proceed with the update? (Y/N):Entering Y produces

Updating firmware...

Error: Invalid drive identifier

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello janeong,

Thank for trying the suggestion provided.

Could you please share the images associated with the commands entered? I just want to make sure that you are running the tool from the correct directory and if you are entering the index number associated with your drive.

Additionaly, could you please tell me if the SSD is from an OEM? Because if that is the case, the firmware update tools should be provided by the OEM and may not be compatible with the Intel(R) SSD Data Center Tool. If you are not sure, please attach an image of the drive's label.

I'll be waiting for your response.

Regards,

Andres V.

JOnga
New Contributor

Thanks for replying!

I have attached the screenshot of my cmd.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello janeong,

Thank you for the image provided. I tried to reproduce the issue you are experienced and came to the conclusion that you may not be running the command prompt as administrator. Here is my output when the command prompt is not ran as administrator, as you can see, it is the same output that you get:

Once I choose to run the command prompt as administrator, the output is as expected (notice that I chose index 0 because I only have one SSD in my system):

Please let me know if this approach solves the issue, in case it doesn't, attach an image of the label of your SSD. I'll be waiting for your response. Regards,Andres V.