Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RFish3
Novice

Can I use the Migration Software for for newly installed Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 3D2 QLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEKNW512G8XT on my ASUS laptop?

Jump to solution

Have tried doing a clone and a clean install and it will not work.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. If you will check the existing partition on your HDD you will find there 4 partition at least. The one is partition C: containing your programs and data The other 3 part that can be moved to other physical location are: EFI, Recovery and MBR or ORM partition.
  2. I suggest that you should first update your existing Windows to the latest version 1809. Then you should backup or clone C: partition only to some external drive.
  3. Change the HDD drive letter from C: to other letter.
  4. Next, you may remove the HDD and install Windows on the SSD. Now you will have again 4 partitions and bootable SSD with latest Windows in partition C:
  5. Now, you can overwrite the partition on disk C: with the cloned from HDD partition , with all programs.
  6. Reinstall the HDD.
  7. Of Course, if you plan to use the SSD for Windows only, you may leave the clean installed Windows on SSD without moving all C: partition to new location.

Leon

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JosafathB_Intel
Hello RFish3, Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support. As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® SSD 660p Series. If we infer correctly we will appreciate if you can provide us with the following information: • The SSU logs. 1- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/ and download the software. 2- When finished downloading it, open it. 3- Attach the file obtained to your reply. •If you are not able to access to your OS please provide us with the model numbers and the part numbers of the components of your PC. • We will like to know if you are using the Intel® Data Migration Software to try to clone your SSD. •Screenshots/pictures of the errors that you are experiencing at the moment of trying to clone you SSD and when you try to install your OS. We will be looking forward to your reply including the information requested. Best regards, Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
RFish3
Novice

Thank you for the help, I have attached the file after running the software.

I do not remember what error messages I was getting but I know the system would not boot, I was unable to install the OS to the SSD and when cloning the drive to the SSD it would not allow me to use the SSD as the boot disk.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @RFish3​ 

If I understand correctly your report, you have currently installed Windows on WD HDD. You want now to install (or clone) Window to new Intel SSD Series 660. So, first off all, you can not clone UEFI disk from one Physical location to another. I suggest you to follow this procedure.

1. Clone only the C: partition (without UEFI, MBR and recovery). In order to avoid mistakes, temporary disconnect (remove)your HDD.
  2. Prepare Windows 10 Home installation media (USB), using Microsoft Media Creation Tool: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209
  3. Install Windows 10 Home on your SSD following this tutorial: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

3.1 In para. 7 enter product key (should be on the bottom of your laptop), or click "I don't have a product key". Windows should be activated automatically on your laptop.

3.2 Skip on para. 12 and continue in para. 13. Make sure to delete all existing partitions on your SSD till you see one unallocated space. Press Next and the installation should continue.

After finishing Windows installation you may return your HDD in place. Be sure to change HDD name from C: to D: . Now you can recover the C: partition saved in step 1 to the SSD.

Leon

RFish3
Novice

Thank you for the advice, I will definitely look into this. You are correct that I currently have Windows is installed on my WD HDD and I am trying to install or clone that to my SSD. I have WIndows 10 installation media already on a USB drive. If I am understanding you correctly after I have cloned the C partition in step 1 that will be present on the SSD after I have done the install onto it as mentioned in step 3?

LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. If you will check the existing partition on your HDD you will find there 4 partition at least. The one is partition C: containing your programs and data The other 3 part that can be moved to other physical location are: EFI, Recovery and MBR or ORM partition.
  2. I suggest that you should first update your existing Windows to the latest version 1809. Then you should backup or clone C: partition only to some external drive.
  3. Change the HDD drive letter from C: to other letter.
  4. Next, you may remove the HDD and install Windows on the SSD. Now you will have again 4 partitions and bootable SSD with latest Windows in partition C:
  5. Now, you can overwrite the partition on disk C: with the cloned from HDD partition , with all programs.
  6. Reinstall the HDD.
  7. Of Course, if you plan to use the SSD for Windows only, you may leave the clean installed Windows on SSD without moving all C: partition to new location.

Leon

View solution in original post

RFish3
Novice

Thank you everyone, I have completed the process and now my SSD is the boot disk with windows on it.