cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Toolbox be used to Trim in Windows 7? Using IDE. Can't use AHCI.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I can't boot into windows 7 when switching to AHCI. Did the registry change, tried to do a fresh install of Win7 in AHCI. Everything is failing when using AHCI. Works in IDE. So my question now if Windows 7 is in IDE mode, is TRIM being issued by the OS or not? The posts here say Yes and No. No definite answer.

If No, can the Toolbox software be used to manually issue the Trim command when in IDE mode? I don't mind doing this manually once a while. If Windows and the Toolbox can't use Trim in IDE, I will have to replace the motherboard. I have updated the MB's BIOS to the latest version and I can't get the darn AHCI to work with Windows. It has to be the MB/BIOS problem.

25 REPLIES 25

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You can't simply 'switch to AHCI.' You have to make sure the AHCI mode is selected in BIOS before you install the operating system. To get the maximum performance it should be run in AHCI mode using the current Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver. Once this is done the SSD executes the OS TRIM commands automatically.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If you read abdu's first post, it seems he understands what Michael1966 explained, since he mentions reinstalling Windows and the registry hack to get AHCI mode to work after OS installation. I've done it both ways, and I would suggest trying what I did. First download and install the Intel RST driver. Perform the registry change. Reboot the system and set SATA mode to AHCI. Worked for me.

Your problem may be you do not have the appropriate chipset, specifically the Southbridge or ICH. I don't think all can run the RST driver. Identify your ICH, find that support page on this site for that chipset, and if it exists, download the correct RST for your OS. If you are using XP, you must load the driver during OS install, via a floppy disk.

RGiff
Contributor

The tool box and the RST driver will not work unless you have AHCI.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Are you sure SSD Toobox will only work in AHCI mode? It does not state that in the Toolbox User Guide.

I am not sure that is correct, can you show us where that is documented? Thanks.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

TRIM will work if:

Using generic Windows 7 IDE drivers

Using MS AHCI driver on Intel ports.

Using Intel's AHCI driver on Intel ports with RST 9.6

Using Intel's RAID driver for SSD not part of a RAID on Intel ports with RST 9.6

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-031491.htm http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-031491.htm

Using MS AHCI driver on other ports should work.

TRIM may not work if:

Using other IDE drivers you will need to check if supported.

Using other AHCI drivers on other ports you will need to check if supported.

Using other RAID drivers for SSD not part of a RAID on other ports you will need to check if supported.

Checking if TRIM is supported:

If you can run a toolbox for an SSD to run TRIM then TRIM is supported.