cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Toolbox be used to Trim in Windows 7? Using IDE. Can't use AHCI.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I can't boot into windows 7 when switching to AHCI. Did the registry change, tried to do a fresh install of Win7 in AHCI. Everything is failing when using AHCI. Works in IDE. So my question now if Windows 7 is in IDE mode, is TRIM being issued by the OS or not? The posts here say Yes and No. No definite answer.

If No, can the Toolbox software be used to manually issue the Trim command when in IDE mode? I don't mind doing this manually once a while. If Windows and the Toolbox can't use Trim in IDE, I will have to replace the motherboard. I have updated the MB's BIOS to the latest version and I can't get the darn AHCI to work with Windows. It has to be the MB/BIOS problem.

25 REPLIES 25

The first time I tried to install the RST driver it did not install , So I did the REG edit and changed to AHCI , Than the RST installed just fine No Problem .

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

@PeterUK: I agree with your statements, but given all the possible variations there might be an exception. But I do agree with you.

I could just swear I ran the Toobox in IDE mode before I had everything set up with the RST driver in a new PC. I had my first Intel SSD and was checking it out with the Toolbox prior to installing Win 7 on it. But I may be mistaken and as I wrote, I can't find anything in the requirements section of the Toolbox User Guide that states being in AHCI mode is necessary for the Optimizer to run.

As usual in PC hardware and software, there are a million details and there is always one hiding around the corner that is the exception to what we know is correct.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

@Gifford: Ah yes, interesting, I did things differently than you did. I performed the Registry change first and used the Win 7 driver, msahci, first, and later installed RST. That was also three PC builds ago... so I cannot be sure what I did regarding running the Toolbox in IDE mode, I could have very well had msahci going at that point.

OK, who's up for rolling there system back to IDE mode and seeing if Toolbox runs? What's that you say... I should do it?? Well... oops, sorry, gotta go, later....

Not ME Mine is fine like it is and I ain't ROLLING BACK Nothing.......# @!$%^&*

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

...Ok I'm back... Mr. Gifford, such language, tsk tsk. You are absolutely !@# $%& right!!!

Speaking of !@# $%&, I just read that Windows 7 SP 1 will be officially released soon, the Release Candidate is available now.

I imagine a thread on this will be started in this forum soon.

If you are interested:

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2010/10/27/windows-7-sp1-rc-released/1 http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2010/10/27/windows-7-sp1-rc-released/1