cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Toolbox be used to Trim in Windows 7? Using IDE. Can't use AHCI.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I can't boot into windows 7 when switching to AHCI. Did the registry change, tried to do a fresh install of Win7 in AHCI. Everything is failing when using AHCI. Works in IDE. So my question now if Windows 7 is in IDE mode, is TRIM being issued by the OS or not? The posts here say Yes and No. No definite answer.

If No, can the Toolbox software be used to manually issue the Trim command when in IDE mode? I don't mind doing this manually once a while. If Windows and the Toolbox can't use Trim in IDE, I will have to replace the motherboard. I have updated the MB's BIOS to the latest version and I can't get the darn AHCI to work with Windows. It has to be the MB/BIOS problem.

25 REPLIES 25

The thread said no desktop improvements ??? So I'll wait for the Offical release Via auto up date .If it doesent help any desktop feathers why bother??

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You said it! I believe that article said this Win 7 SP1 only (Ha!) contains all the security updates released so far for Win 7.

I've been faithfully installing all (well... most, some of the them are useless to me) the updates that are available, and although I believe some of them are ones specifically for my hardware that I downloaded on my own, I have over 100, and I see I have five more waiting for me right now.

Given that I have installed all this stuff, what is the point of installing Win 7 SP1? Will it be smart enough to know I already have these updates? Will installing it just cause this OS to grow yet larger? Of course it likely will but is it worth it?

Open questions of course, hopefully time will tell.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

What is the relationship between Win7 SP1 or hot fixes with the toolbox?

To the person inquiring about hotfixes and SP!, I think SP1 will be smart enough to do the right thing and probably, just guessing, will do one of these things:

1- Finds out you have the a hotfix already, and ignores the same from within SP1.

2- Removes your htofix and applies its own. Maybe just to be sure.

3- Reapply the hotfix on top of yours.

Either way, there should be no harm. Microsoft knows very well millions of users install the hotfixes it releases before the big service pack is released.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

To answer your first question, none, got off on a tangent in this thread, so sorry.

In response to your statement about Win 7 SP1, I certainly hope so. The only harm would be unnecessarily increasing the over 20 GB size of Win 7 on my SSD.

Before I hade a SSD I was running in IDE mode , I got my 160gb intel SSD , so I tried to download and install , wood not work ,I did some reading on micrasoft site learned how to do the reg edit to enable AHCI without getting BSOD . Than I tried again to install RST and tool box and it all worked , Now you tell me .