cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Toolbox be used to Trim in Windows 7? Using IDE. Can't use AHCI.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I can't boot into windows 7 when switching to AHCI. Did the registry change, tried to do a fresh install of Win7 in AHCI. Everything is failing when using AHCI. Works in IDE. So my question now if Windows 7 is in IDE mode, is TRIM being issued by the OS or not? The posts here say Yes and No. No definite answer.

If No, can the Toolbox software be used to manually issue the Trim command when in IDE mode? I don't mind doing this manually once a while. If Windows and the Toolbox can't use Trim in IDE, I will have to replace the motherboard. I have updated the MB's BIOS to the latest version and I can't get the darn AHCI to work with Windows. It has to be the MB/BIOS problem.

25 REPLIES 25

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm going to say I don't know but as for using Toolbox to manually issue the Trim command...well you have a SSD and you can install Toolbox...so you can try it.

What Motherboard do you have?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

How do I know if the Toolbox issued a TRIM.. will it give an error message if it couldn't?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

How do I know if the Toolbox issued a TRIM.. will it give an error message if it couldn't?

Yes it will give a error if it couldn't.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If your mobo has an option to run in AHCI mode there is no reason why it should not be working. What mobo are you using? Does your mobo have more than one set of controllers on it? If it does make sure you are using the Intel SATA ports and not the SATA ports from another controller.