cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't read or write to SSD Pro 2500

MFowl
New Contributor

I bought a used Intel SSD Pro 2500 series drive. In Windows, the drive is not mountable. Although the drive does not show up in Windows 10 file explorer, the SSD toolbox can find it and reports status as healthy and reports estimated lifespan remaining to be around 50%. If I go into the Windows disk format utility, I can see the drive, but when I try to format it, it errors out. Also in Linux, GParted crashes and I also cannot format the drive. It's running the latest firmware according to the Firmware Utility and SSD Toolbox. I downloaded the Intel Administrator tools and tried doing a PSID_Revert. I entered the PSID, but received an error that I think said something like "TCG: Initialization failed". So basically, the drive status appears fine according to SSD Toolbox, but I cannot read or write to it. Is there a way to reset the drive to factory specs others than PSID revert? Anything else I should try? One other note, I tried to read it first by connecting a USB adapter that came with my Samsung SSD to it. It did not work and I'm wondering if that USB adapter (which I thought was generic and would work with any SATA drive) killed it.

5 REPLIES 5

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Crow32,

The drive should still work fine even with 50% of media wear-out, in this case, the drive shows also around 17TB of host writes already. It could be that the drive is already in some sort of read-only mode.It is not related to the actual value of media wear-out, but this is an indicator that the drive have been used in a heavy environment and that's the reason of this situation.If you have more questions please let us know.Regards,Nestor C