cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't read or write to SSD Pro 2500

MFowl
New Contributor

I bought a used Intel SSD Pro 2500 series drive. In Windows, the drive is not mountable. Although the drive does not show up in Windows 10 file explorer, the SSD toolbox can find it and reports status as healthy and reports estimated lifespan remaining to be around 50%. If I go into the Windows disk format utility, I can see the drive, but when I try to format it, it errors out. Also in Linux, GParted crashes and I also cannot format the drive. It's running the latest firmware according to the Firmware Utility and SSD Toolbox. I downloaded the Intel Administrator tools and tried doing a PSID_Revert. I entered the PSID, but received an error that I think said something like "TCG: Initialization failed". So basically, the drive status appears fine according to SSD Toolbox, but I cannot read or write to it. Is there a way to reset the drive to factory specs others than PSID revert? Anything else I should try? One other note, I tried to read it first by connecting a USB adapter that came with my Samsung SSD to it. It did not work and I'm wondering if that USB adapter (which I thought was generic and would work with any SATA drive) killed it.

5 REPLIES 5

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Crow32,

We understand your SSD is no longer working detected by the operating system, but the Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox does report it with 50% estimated life remaining.On this situation, we would like to let you know that there are some steps you can try in order to fix this situation, please check the following:-Secure erase using the Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/memory-and-storage/000006084.html Here are the requirements you need).-Use https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/memory-and-storage/000022179.html DiskPart* to try a low-level format, here is an article for you to follow.-Try a third-party tool, you can try http://www.killdisk.com/killdisk-home.htm KillDisk*Note: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel®.If possible, try to export the SMART details of the SSD from the Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox.Please let us know if this worked so we can further assist you.Regards,Nestor C

MFowl
New Contributor

I don't have Windows 7 or prior installed on my system so I cannot run secure erase. However, I ran DiskPart and when I tried to execute the Clean All command, I received the following error message:

DiskPart has encountered an error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

See the System Event Log for more information.

When I check the System Event log, I see several messages all similar to this:

The IO operation at logical block address 0x0 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\0000002e) was retried.

The IO operation at logical block address 0x100 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\0000002e) was retried.

The IO operation at logical block address 0x600 for Disk 1 (PDO name: \Device\0000002e) was retried.

Here's the SMART details:

'ID', 'Description', 'Raw', 'Normalized', 'Threshold', 'Action'

05, Vendor Specific, 1, 100, 0, Ready for use.

09, Power-On Hours Count, 3630, 100, 0, Ready for use.

0C, Power Cycle Count, 3968, 100, 0, Ready for use.

AA, Available Reserved Space, 0, 96, 10, Ready for use.

AB, Program Fail Count, 0, 100, 0, Ready for use.

AC, Erase Fail Count, 0, 100, 0, Ready for use.

AE, Unexpected Power Loss Count, 20, 100, 0, Ready for use.

B7, SATA Downshift Count, 0, 100, 0, Ready for use.

B8, End-to-End Error Detection Count, 0, 100, 90, Ready for use.

BB, Uncorrectable Error Count, 0, 100, 0, Ready for use.

BE, Temperature, 34362884123, 27, 0, Ready for use.

, Current Temperature, 27 degree C, , ,

, Highest Temperature, 48 degree C, , ,

, Lowest Temperature, 8 degree C, , ,

C0, Unsafe Shutdown Count, 20, 100, 0, Ready for use.

C7, CRC Error Count, 1, 100, 0, Ready for use.

E1, Host Writes, 17110.53 GB, 100, 0, Ready for use.

E2, Timed Workload - Media Wear, 65535, 100, 0, Ready for use.

E3, Timed Workload - Host Read/Write Ratio, 43, 100, 0, Ready for use.

E4, Timed Workload Timer, 65535, 100, 0, Ready for use.

E8, Available Reserved Space, 0, 96, 10, Ready for use.

E9, Media Wearout Indicator, 0, 64, 0, Ready for use.

F1, Total LBAs Written, 17110.53 GB, 100, 0, Ready for use.

F2, Total LBAs Read, 12315.25 GB, 100, 0, Ready for use.

F9, Total NAND Writes, 277890.00 GB, 100, 0, Ready for use.

One other thing to note, I have not installed the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver. My system already has one SSD for my Windows partition and I was hoping to install Linux on the Intel SSD and use that as my dedicated Linux drive.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Crow32,

Thanks for the reply.From the SMART attributes log you attached, we can see the degradation of the media wear out, already in 64%.Just for you to know, the media wear out cannot be reverted, but for you to try to use the disk again, we believe that the only option you could try is to run the third-party tool http://www.killdisk.com/killdisk-home.htm KillDisk* and check if this allows you to write and read from the disk.Please let us know if this worked.Regards,Nestor C

MFowl
New Contributor

I would not expect a drive to be completely dead at 64% media wearout. I tried KillDisk both windows and Linux bootable. Both failed reporting that writing and reading to all sectors failed.