Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool

Can't update firmware of 6000p

YNaic
Beginner

I have a 256GB 6000p M.2 drive. It's currently on firmware PSF109. The latest firmware is PSF121P.

I get the following error when I try updating the firmware via the Windows based SSD Toolbox:

Error: The firmware update process encountered an error (10/53). Reboot and try again.

I also tried updating via the bootable FUT, and also get similar error.

I have already tried removing any security (bitlocker), setting the SATA to IDE mode (which is not clear to me why this would work on an M.2 drive) and a number of other variations.

It seems impossible to update the firmware on this drive via the windows based or bootable FUT tool. I am not sure if I need to do something special to update the firmware on an M.2 drive which is different from a standard SATA based drive.

Any suggestions on how I can resolve this? The new firmware seems to fix some critical problems.

Thanks.

5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello YTN,

To update the firmware of your SSD it's important to make sure any drive password protection or encryption has been completely disabled. If you wish to update the firmware via the Firmware Update Tool, then you must also enable legacy/CSM mode in your BIOS. It is not necesary to set your controller mode to IDE as the Intel SSD Pro 6000p Series is an NVMe* drive.

If the issue continues, please share with us the following:

1. IntelSSDTDK.log and IntelSSDTollbox.log files which can be found at C:\Intel\Logs\

2. The SMART details for your SSD. To export, please open the Intel SSD Toolbox, make sure that your 6000p is selected and choose the export option at the bottom of the screen.

To attach this files you will need to switch over to the "advanced editor" while replying.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
YNaic
Beginner

I did disable bitlocker, and the computer was in CSM mode. It still didn't work.

I believe the problem is due to edrive being enabled. Currently the FUT does not have an option to disable edrive.

I managed to solve this problem by copying all my data off to another drive (since this was not my primary OS drive) and then doing a PSID reset which wiped the drive to factory defaults. Updating the firmware then worked.

However, this option would be very difficult for people who have this as their primary / OS drive.

I would recommend Intel add an option to disable edrive via the FUT.

idata
Employee

Hello YTN,

Thank you for sharing your solution with us.

I will submit your feedback in regards to FUT and Microsoft eDrive*.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
LPonc
Beginner

Hi, I have the exact same problem, I cannot update my 512 gb intel pro 6000p M2 ssd, the current firmware is 118p and the latest is 121p, I already tried to update with the Intel SSD toolbox but it says I need to contact the manufacturer :/, yes its an OEM ssd, I dont mind losing all the data on my ssd I just want to update the firmware of it so I can optmize my ssd with the intel ssd toolbox and have the best user experience, please help me u.u

0 Kudos
LPonc
Beginner

I would like to add that I have already used the Solid State Drive Firmware Update Utility for Windows 10 and it gives me the same error as the the Intel SSD toolbox: "contact manufacturer"; also another good reason to keep my ssd updated is this particular issue: https://support.lenovo.com/us/es/product_security/ps500118 ; thanjs in advance for any help and happy holidays.

0 Kudos