cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use SSD Toolbox on my X25-M ??

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello,

I have just setup my new computer with Win7 installed on a WD Velociraptor 300GB and an intel SSD X25-M 160GB where I installed Flight Simulator. When I first launched Windows 7, it did not show my SSD in "My Computer" and I had to go to "Disk Management" to select the SSD Drive and "activated" it in NTFS. Now everything seems fine.

Now, I wanted to instal the SSD Toolbox to optimize my drive. In the bios, all SATA drives are set with IDE. Unfortunately, when I launcg the SSD Toolbox, it says that the SSD drive is not compatible with the tool..... what's going on ?

Thank you

Greg

28 REPLIES 28

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well, since I have already installed my OS on my Western Digital Velociraptor and my game (FSX) on my intel x25-M SSD, the way I should proceed is :

1- change registry in Windows MSAHCI "START- value0" instead of "3". Then go to BIOS and select SATA AHCI instead of IDE. Then I have to recreate the SSD drive in the Disk Management as explained by you Ziggy. Is that the good sequence ?

Thank you guys for your precious help,

Greg

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

That sounds like a plan, cassis. Let us know what it means for performance - I'm really curious!

And while I'm curious: You opted to use your HDD as your boot drive. It's a highly unusual choice - most people will use the SSD for faster boot time and faster application launch. How'd you come to that decision? Was it driven by wanting the fastest drive for FSX?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well this is just me, but I'd be tempted (no scratch that, I'd be chomping at the bit) to re-install the OS and use the SSD as the boot drive and run the flight sim from the VR, which is more than up to the task. You'll notice a boost in performance just by running FSX from a second drive alone.

But, as a quick fix yes, try recreating the logical drive with the controller in AHCI mode. What would be useful to know however, is if you installed the OS on the VR using AHCI? Windows is not very tolerant about mode changes, and the more you do this, you risk messing up the boot drive also. There is no point as far as I can see to use the IDE mode with your system on the OS level.

I have a VR myself and it is a very good drive but after seeing the SSD perfom (and wipe the floor with it) it is now a lowly backup drive along with a page file, scratch disk and internet cache. My own games run from a pair of striped Raptors, and for me at least, I have no gripes about load times.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the SSD Toolbox. You don't need it at this stage as your SSD currently does not support TRIM and even then you would only require it if you wanted to run TRIM manually or on a schedule. I have no option but to use it since my controller is in RAID mode and have to TRIM on a schedule. AHCI with the Win 7 default drivers (as opposed to IMSM) should see TRIM running happily in the background without any input required on your part, when you are able to update the firmware of course.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well actually, since FSX is a really demanding software if you consider the thousands of texture files to be loaded, I decided to run it from a SSD.... and launch time is dfaster than before with probably better graphics... Also, I'd rather keep the OS on a traditionnal drive (a VR is still the best on the market) to safeguard my system..

I'll do that changes and will let you know.... and as soon as the new firmware is released by Intel, I'll install it of course.

Will come back soon with the results.... thanks

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It all depends on the invidual needs of course and until recently I was an avid flight simmer with many years in Falcon 4. Of course the best results will probably be obtained having FSX on the fastest drive, and I do realise it is a resource hunrgy application but it will still be making demands on the OS so it's maybe something to consider next time you decide to (or have to) re-install Windows. If you use your rig primarily for the flight sim then yes, it might make sense to leave it as is, but if it's more of a jack of all trades in terms of usage then booting from SSD is a worthy alternative.

and as soon as the new firmware is released by Intel, I'll install it of course.

Brave! Although my own update went well (so far...) after seeing so many reports of bricked drives, I may not be in such a hurry next time around. : )

Hope you manage to sort out the drive!