cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot do clean Win 8.1/64 install to Intel P3600 SSD

GBali
New Contributor

ASUS motherboard X99 Deluxe. Running latest BIOS and defaults. Currently running OK with OCZ SSD. Intel 400gb SSD is visible in BIOS, Windows and disk management as healthy partition. Storage controllers in BIOS are set to AHCI. Did full format of SSD before Win install. Can write to and read from P3600. SSD firmware is 8DV1. Installed latest P3600 driver from Intel website. Run Intel SSD full read and write diagnostics with no errors. Intel tells me motherboard meets specs for P3600. No solution from ASUS either.

At early stage of clean Win install from a Win 8.1/64 CD before installation starts, get message "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Computer hardware may not support booting to this disk. Insure disk controller is enabled in Bios". Tried formatting and then install and get same message. Tried installing driver and then install and get same message. Communicating with Intel and issue is still active. Don't think SSD purchased from newegg.com is defective. Newegg is willing to accept return but I am not optimistic replacement disk won't have same issue. Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated. George B.

12 REPLIES 12

GBali
New Contributor

Thanks Clement for your response. Here is the boot stuff you requested from the BIOS:

Boot option priorities are Windows boot manager, current OCZ SSD with 8.1/64 installed, DVD

Boot menu F8 is DVD, Windows boot manager, current OCZ SSD, external hard drive

CSM:

Launch CSM is enabled

Boot device control is set to UEFI and Legacy OPROM. Other options are Legacy OPROM only or UEFI only

Boot from storage devices is set to Legacy only. Other options are ignore and UEFI first

Boot from PCI-E/PCI expansion devices is set to Legacy only. Other option is UEFI driver first

OS type is set to Windows UEFI mode

PCIe speed is set to auto. Other options are gen1 and gen2

SATA controllers are set to AHCI

Let me know your ideas if I should change any of the above. Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it. George B

CChon3
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Boot from storage devices is set to Legacy only. Other options are ignore and UEFI first.

Boot from PCI-E/PCI expansion devices is set to Legacy only. Other option is UEFI driver first.

Change both of these options to UEFI first.

Optional: You could just disable CSM (so that it is full UEFI, no legacy), however that will require your video card to have a UEFI GOP BIOS in order for "Disable Launch CSM" to work.

GBali
New Contributor

Changed BIOS CSM boot from storage and boot from PCIe to UEFI first, saved and powered off. Powered on with Win 8.1 installation DVD in PC. Went to install and got same original message. Installed Intel driver 64 1.1.0.1104 from separate DVD. Re-inserted Win 8.1 DVD. Got same original message. Formatted Intel drive. Re-installed Intel driver. Inserted Win 8.1 DVD. Got message " Couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. See set up log file for more info.", Exited install and PC boots to BIOS. Had to change boot froms back to Legacy.

Will do full format of Intel drive in Windows. Will install latest Win 8.1 updates coming out this afternoon. Running latest BIOS from ASUS. Will change BIOS boot froms tonight, remove current OCZ SSD and try again. Makes sense?. In what folder will I find the set up log files? Did search on my whole OCZ drive for set up log file and did not find any.

Do you know if my Nvidia GTX 660TI video card has a UEFI GOP BIOS? How will I know that? Should I try disabling the launch CSM tonight also if the full formatting does not work?

CChon3
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

The drive cannot have any partitions on it before the installation, the OS needs to create GPT partitions (instead of the usual MBR used by BIOS) on the drive in order for the drive to boot via UEFI.

You must make sure that the DVD drive is booted via UEFI mode or else the OS install will be in BIOS mode (which will fail since the PCIE storage card has no BIOS ROM).

Keep the two setting to "UEFI first", save then after reboot press F8 during BIOS and choose "UEFI ".

The setup log is located at "X:\Windows\panther\setupact.log" during setup.

Once you reach the point of failure (as in cannot create partitions) open a command prompt by pressing "Shift+F10".

Now type in "notepad X:\Windows\panther\setupact.log"

The last portion of the log will give you the more descriptive error message.

Do you think it is possible to give me a screen shot of the Windows partition setup screen?

Only the more recent cards has the UEFI GOP (7 and 9 series), for 6 series it is likely you will have to request such BIOS from the card manufacturer.

GBali
New Contributor

Cannot try this tonight. Will hopefully uninstall current OCZ SSD and install Intel SSD Wed. night. Let me see if I correctly understand what/sequence to do:

Current Intel SSD contains 3 folders: recycle bin, folder from today's Windows update of Intel management engine interface and system volume information folder

Change BIOS in the 2 boot froms to UEFI first.

Save and re-boot

Press F8 and choose first boot priority to UEFI DVD drive

Re-boot with Win 8.1 DVD in DVD drive

This is where the Intel SSD shows up as disk 0 partition 1 since I last did full format of Intel SSD in Windows as NTFS file system. Is this where you want me to do a print screen?

As first step before OS install starts, format drive to get rid of everything including current 3 folders on the Intel SSD

Do a refresh that hopefully shows no partition on Intel SSD

Install Intel SSD driver (firmware update) version 1.1.0.1104. Is this where you want the print screen?

Try Win 8.1 install

Are these the correct steps and sequence?

Please advise where do I do the print screen of Win partition setup screen.