idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hey all,

Asus CM6870 series desktop

Windows 8, 64-bit

16 GB

Intel i7-3770 A 3.4Ghz quad core

7200RPM 2G HDD

Intel 520 180 GB SSD, connected to an SATA 6GB/s interface with an SATA 6GB/s cable

I was hyped to get my new SSD ... I plugged it in and it was recognized in the BIOS just fine. However, when I try to format it using the Disk Management tools it comes back with an error saying "Could not complete the operation" and when I check the events I see

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

The IO operation at logical block address 40800 for Disk 1 was retried.

The IO operation at logical block address 14f5bfff for Disk 1 was retried.

When this first happened I started looing around for diagnostic tools and came across the Intel SSD Toolbox. When I first start the computer and check the drive with the toolbox I see that the SMART indicators are all green and the drive looks otherwise normal. When I try to format it then I see the aforementioned problems.

I've tried different wire combinations (switching the wires from the HDD to the SDD but all to no avail)

I'm just wondering if there isn't something basic I should try, or is it time to activate the warranty and send it back to Intel? Let me know If I left out any vital information.

Thanks in advance

13 REPLIES 13

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

OK ... no sooner do I post this message then I have a brainchild: try a different formatting tool!

I tried MiniTool Partition Wizard and the format went ahead perfectly!!

Anyone know why this might be?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Same here, Jeffrey! I've been fighting this on a new Lenovo using Lenovo's standard system load of Windows 8 Pro and an Intel Series 525 (mSATA form factor of the 520) for a couple months now, including an RMA and exchange via mail for a new Intel 525 180GB SSD, with same results.

MiniTool Partition Wizard worked where Windows 8 did not. Many, many thanks. I'm no smarter, but I'm much more productive. I would like to find out why this is, too.

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

You can use Diskpart within Windows* to clean and reset your Solid state drives. To use this tool, you can either open up a command prompt window within Windows, or boot from the Windows* installer CD, allow it to load the files, and get to the part where it allows you to choose the time and language.

At this part press Shift-F10 this will load a DOS environment.

Type the following and hit enter after every line:

• Diskpart (it will display information in regards to the tool)

• list disk (it will show a list of your available disks with a number next to)

• select disk # (replace the "# " with the number representing the drive you wish to clean)

• clean all (after this it will stay at a blinking cursor during about 15 minutes for a 80GB drive)

After this process is completed you may create the partition and format the drive with computer management or the Windows installation disc.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks, Joe, but I knew about this solution, tried it, and it failed, too. In addition to all this, I stayed in diskpart also to create the partition and attempt to format it, but the format failed there as well.

I disagree with this solution. There is still a problem here to solve.