cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant enable intel smart response technology acceleration

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just bought a new computer with a 2TO SATA disk with Windows 8 on it and a 32gb SSD drive. With the Intel utility that came installed, there is a possibily to use the SSD drive as cache to accelerate your main hard drive. However, when I go to the acceleration tab, it prompts me for which SSD I want to use (I only have one), ask me how much of it I want to use for caching (the whole thing), ask which physical disk I want to accelerate (C:), and asks which mode to enable (I've tried both).

Every time it pops up an error and says that an unexpected error has occured while tryign to enable acceleration and to restart my computer and try again. I've tried again and again, and get the same error every single time

I updated the firmware on the SSD, ensured that I had the latest iSRT installed, as well as checked my bios settings.

Please help, I have looked all over online and haven't found any clues.

Thanks

18 REPLIES 18

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I looked all over for this, even on Intel's help section.

I found one post on another forum with a guy who had the same problem earlier this year but I havent had a response from him.

Everything seems ok in disk management and I don't think the drive is defective.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Most people having problems with the acceleration feature had the acceleration tab greyed out and could not activate it.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just got my SSD and set up the system. I will go through my process to see if you notice any differences.

SanDisk 32 GB "ReadyCache" SSD

Booted and open Disk Management. The drive was shown as RAW, so I initialized it to GPT (UEFI system).

Open the Rapid Storage utility, which took quite a while to come up. The Accelerate button was now visible and I selected "Enable Acceleration". Used, as you did, full capacity, Primary Hard Drive and Enhanced. There may be a difference here since I did not use just c: but the entire drive. I assume that is what is means by Physical Drive.

Hit OK and after some drive activity, the system showed "Enhanced Mode Enabled". The SSD disappeared from Disk Management and Diskpart. In the Rapid Storage utility it shows as Volume_0000, Type: RAID 0.

Since I have now gone through the process, I will be better equipped to answer questions.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ok, two things.

- what do you mean by initializing the disk to GPT (UEFI system) ?

- you said you did not use just c: but the entire drive. Do you have a couple of partitions of the drive ?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The configuration of the drive does not seem to be important. The process will reconfigure it. So setting it to GPT for a UEFI install is not necessary.

I only have the option to select an entire hard drive to accelerate. Yes, there are 2 partitions on my primary (OS) drive, but I cannot select just C: . This is probably the same thing you are seeing. I don't suppose you are seeing an option to Disassociate the SSD in the Rapid Response window? If the SSD had be set up previously, it may still be configured for the other system, but this is just a remote possibllity.

The process seems fairly straight forward. Since it does not appear to be working that way for you, possibly a firmware update for the SSD may help. There are probably some SSD drives that might be incompatible for some reason.

Because the data transfer speeds were being reduced to such a great extent, I am no longer using the Smart Response Technology. My testing seems to indicate the transfer speeds for file transfers will drop about 90% in Windows 8 for large files (> 7 GB). Windows 7 seemed to be OK for me.

Edit: I have discovered the reason for the decrease in transfer speeds was the SSD I was using. Replacing it with a faster, but still SATA III, drive allowed the transfer speeds to function normally.

But I have now used 2 different SSDs for SRT and both could be set up and seemed to function correctly.